Wednesday, June 29, 2016

june budget

june budget
  1. J. Crew midi skirt in clip dot: $89.50, on sale for $69.50 + 40% off = $41.70
  2. J. Crew Factory embroidered tank: $39.50, on sale for $39.99 + 50% off = $19.75
  3. J. Crew metallic scoop-neck tee: $35 + 30% off = $24.50
  4. Banana Republic lace-trim top: $88.00, on sale for $68.99 + 50% off = $34.49
  5. Target Sorona sandal: $19.99, on sale for $15.99 + 30% off =  $11.19
  6. Loft linen-cotton sweater: $$49.50, on sale for $29.99 + 50% off = $14.99
June Budget: $146.62
Second quarter budget: $600 - $259.56 in April - $238.56 in May - $146.62 in June = $44.74 over

Another quarterly budget is in the books! I'm over again this quarter, but I'm not as over as the first quarter, so that's progress at least, right? But, I do love the purchases I've made over the past three months, they've already gotten lots of wear, and I know I'll be using them frequently in the months to come. Looking toward the next quarter, my goals are to stay in budget (surely I'll get it on the third try?) and to continue to invest in pieces that I'll be wearing this time next year. Looking back on last year's April, May and June budgets, I no longer wear more than third-quarters of those purchases, partly due to changes in clothing-size and partly because my style has evolved a bit. A great thing about keeping a long-term clothing budget is it makes you more aware of what goes in and out of your closet, and (hopefully) makes your more mindful of your purchases - because today's "oh, my gosh, go to have it" item just might end up next year's donate bag. As I'm learning from personal experience...

Anyway, on to the purchases. 

1. J. Crew midi skirt in clip dot (see how I wore it here and here)
Everything about this skirt makes me happy - the fun, punchy color, the texture and the pockets (I'm always a sucker for pockets). I also like that it's a color that I don't have as much of in my closet, but still coordinates well with what I do have. For reference, it's a 14.

2. J. Crew Factory embroidered tank
I've worn this top a few times, mainly on the weekend and haven't gotten a chance to photograph it. I originally discovered it while creating a spring work trip packing list, and liked it so much, I snagged it when it went on major sale. I think it runs large, and got it in a L (instead of my usual XL from J. Crew Factory).

3. J. Crew scoop-neck tee (see how I wore it here)
I really like this tee, but I'm slightly disappointed that it's not the color depicted online. I thought I was getting a deep blush top, but instead it's a soft beige/peachy color. Still a pretty top, just different than what I expected. It is my usual XL.

4. Banana Republic smocked-lace trim top (see a sneak peek of it here)
This top is a great basic, and it looks good with shorts and with pants. It's a L and still very roomy. As a heads up, it's dry clean only - care instructions that I opted not to follow - and as a consequence, I've gotten a few minor pills. Sometimes it is wise to follow directions. :)

5. Target Sorona sandal
Target has been having great sales on sandals, so I picked these up last week to add to my sandal-rotation. I've been eyeing them for months, so they are a happy edition to my closet. They fit true to size - these are 9s - and are pretty comfortable. The only thing I've noticed is after the first full-day's wear, they rubbed in-between my toes a bit, but that's going away the more I wore them. So there's a definite breaking-in period. 

Is a sweater practical in June in Florida? Probably not, but this one is very light-weight and I love the color and high-low hem. It's a L, and fits true to size for Loft.

Not included in the budget:
june budget extras I've been fascinated with Stella & Dot for awhile now, so I picked up a few things - the geo tile crossbody and the slim city clutch from Brianna and the rebel pendant from eBay (you can also find some great deals on these necklaces on Poshmark). I've been looking for a way to make a little extra income while my husband is back to school, and am contemplating selling Stella & Dot. But first, I wanted to get a good idea of the quality of their products. Honestly, I LOVE every last thing I've gotten and they have an amazing selection of truly unique items. I'm beyond happy with my purchases, even if I don't end up selling, they are worth it. I've been wearing the necklace like crazy (see it here and here) - it goes with everything - been using the clutch as a wallet (see it here), and the crossbody (see it here and here) is perfect for work and for weekends as a smaller diaper bag. The quality is spot-on, they're well-made, and I love all the fun extra details (like bright, fun bag linings).

So, that's a wrap for the second quarter budget. Look ahead, I just ordered these amazing rain boots - obsessed with the yellow bow - while they were on super sale on Amazon. I'm so hoping they fit my wider calves. And J. Crew was having a 50% off clearance sale last weekend, so a few of these things might end up in July's budget as well.

//   Sharing on Franish for Budgeting Bloggers.  //

14 comments:

  1. Going over by $45 isn't bad at all! I consider that a win. :-) The J.Crew skirt is gorgeous and I can see that color being surprisingly versatile.

    http://bedknobsandbaubles.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, $45 isn't too bad...I'm just consistently over every month...opps! I've been loving the red skirt, and getting more wear that I initially thought I would, which is great!

      Delete
  2. Loving that embroidered top! So cute! And I've been going a little over too, it happens, no worries!

    Laura | Laura Aime Vous

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's hard not to go over when there's so much cute stuff out right now. J. Crew and J. Crew Factory have been killing it (and my budget) lately. :)

      Delete
  3. I've been eyeing up that embroidered top for a while - can't wait to see how you style it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like it. It does run large, so I ordered down from my usual size, but it's PERFECT for those days when you're sporting a huge food baby...

      Delete
  4. You're moving in the right direction! I initially set my monthly budget way too low back in the day and ended up going over for about a year and that felt defeating so I didn't set a budget for the next year and that was a different kind of disaster. This year, I upped my original budget and have come under every month except this month. You'll definitely make it next quarter I know! Keep up the great work! And thanks for the good peer pressure to buy the micro pleated midi and the cotton clip dot skirts! I love them both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad we're skirt twins! I can't wait to see how you style both skirts. I've been wearing the clip dot like crazy. I still love the micro pleated midi, but it's so pretty I'm worried I'll trash it, so I've been hesitant to wear it. Silly...

      Delete
  5. It is so hard to stay on budget, so good for you for making progress! You're getting closer to your target spending amount, and that's awesome! I say this as someone who had to seriously inch toward staying at budget and only now have been consistently under-budget--something that felt impossible this time last year! And I love that lavender sweater! Such a pretty color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jess. You're right, progress is always good.:)

      Delete
  6. I think you got some great stuff this month--I love the skirt and the lace-trim top, both are so pretty and summery! It's so hard to stay on budget, but I think you did really well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shea! I'm really happy with my picks this month, so it's easy not to be upset about going over. :)

      Delete
  7. Way late looking at budget posts, but...I love that embroidered tank! Every year I set out to find something embroidered but I feel like when I really love something, it looks weird on me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That happens to me too! Or I'll see something making it's way on the blogs and it looks SO cute on everyone else, but weird on me. This embroidered tank is a bit blowy, so I've been wearing it with a cardi to help slim it down, which works for me since I have a weird hangup about showing off my upper (flabby) arms. :)

      Delete