Thursday, March 31, 2016

March Budget


March Budget: $188.75
Quarter budget $600 - $232.44 in January - $248.81 in February - $267.47 in March =

$78.72 over :(

Not exactly the best start to the first quarter budget of the year. I realized about halfway through the month that I was going to blow it. I didn't intend to, but it got so stinking hot in Florida and I realized none of my shorts or tees fit anymore, so I bought a few things (like these shorts and this tee and this one) that I originally thought I could hold off another month on purchasing. That's what you get when you buy all the fun stuff before the practical - blown budgets. :) I'm still really happy with my purchases, so I'm not too upset about being spendy.

Here's a breakdown of what I bought:

Loft split neck tunic (see how I wore it here)
I saw this in the store and fell in love with the deep rose color and flattering neckline. I got this in a L and it probably runs a little big. I'm in between shirt sizes at the Loft, so I'm finding it harder to judge sizing. Some larges from Loft fit, some don't. This one does. :)

I got this pretty black eyelet dress to wear to a work function after realizing last year's black dress was too big. The front of the dress hits right above the knee and the back is maybe an inch longer. I love the full short-sleeves (as opposed to the dreaded cap-sleeves) and the eyelet actually makes the black feel springy. For reference, I got it in an XL. The J. Crew midi dress was such a ridiculously good deal (over 75% off the original price!), I felt like I couldn't pass it up. I took a risk with it being final sale, but I think it's my favorite purchase this month! The deep green is color I don't have a lot of in my closet, it's super comfortable with the elastic waistband - but still looks dressy - and the knee-high side slits, v-neck and perforated pattern keep it from looking dowdy. It's still available in sizes 00 and 16, so if you're one of those sizes, I highly recommend it! 

J. Crew Factory flannel button-down (see a sneak peak of it here) and J. Crew Factory dot sweater (see a sneak peak of it here)
I got this pretty green plaid button-down and embroidered dot sweater when the weather was still tricking me into thinking spring was going to hang around awhile longer. I got both in an XL and think they fit true to size for J. Crew Factory. I'm a little sad I'm probably not going to get to wear them again for a long time, but I guess it'll be like getting something new this fall!

J. Crew Factory linen lace T-Shirt (see how I wore it here),  J. Crew Factory embroidered-front T-shirt and Loft Bermuda roll shorts
I picked up both the white linen tee and navy embroidered tee once the warm weather hit. J. Crew Factory is killing it right now with their dressy tees! (I have a serious case of the wants for quite a few of their shirts right now.) I think the two I purchased are perfect for work and can easily be dressed down with shorts or jeans. I got both in an XL and think they fit true-to-size. The navy embroidered tee is so soft and I love the contrasting embroidery on the yoke. The white linen tee is light and breathable and the lace detailing elevates it from being a plain, boring white tee. As for the Loft shorts - I tried on all two pairs of shorts I own, and neither one fit anymore - so even though I'm not a fan of shorts, I knew I needed a replacement. As far as shorts go, these pink Bermuda shorts really aren't that bad! They hit right a few inches above the knee, are a fantastic color, and they flatter different body types. My step-mom bought these shorts and she's a completely different shape than me - tall with slender legs - and they look fabulous on her! Mine are a 14 and I think they run a little large, since they stretch a little as you wear them.

J. Crew Factory pencil skirt in double-serge cotton (see how I wore it here)
After falling in love with this skirt on Jean, I included it in my latest J. Crew Factory order. The bright aqua color is absolutely gorgeous in real-life! I wasn't sold on the fit at first and worried I looked too "hippy," since the skirt flares out a bit, and the pockets emphasize the hips. But after letting it sit around for a few weeks, I finally decided to give it a try. I'm so glad I did! It's definitely something different in my closet, one of my favorite colors, and skirts with pockets are quickly becoming my new fav. And while I still think it makes me look a bit wide in the hips, the little bit of flare does gives a little more definition to my waist. Bigger hips = smaller waist? The cotton is nice and light, but unfortunately it does wrinkle during the day. I love the color enough to forgive the wrinkles, but it is worth noting. I got this in a 16 and probably could have gone down a size, it runs a little big. I also love the coral color in comes in, so maybe I'll have to try it in a 14. :)

Well, that's my haul for the month. Next month starts a new quarterly budget, and hopefully this time around I can stay on track and on budget!

//  I'm linking up with Franish and the Budgeting Bloggers!  //

16 comments:

  1. Nothing is worse than buying replacement shorts. I swear, mine never fit the next year!

    I think going over by only $78 isn't bad at all. You basically have your spring wardrobe on lock! I adore that J.Crew dress!

    http://bedknobsandbaubles.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for making me feel better about being such a shop-a-holic. :)

      What is it about shorts and bathing suits? You'll find the perfect one that looks great, but the next year they look like a train wreck. It's a conspiracy I tell you. :)

      Delete
  2. When spring looms around the corner, it makes me want to shop for a whole new wardrobe....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm bad about that too. Changing seasons make me want to get new, fresh lovelies!

      Delete
  3. That sucks that you're over budget :( On the plus side, you did pretty good considering the retail value on all of those items was over $600! I loved that teal skirt on Jean as well, so I totally get that purchase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean does look fantastic in that skirt. I unfortunately got a little Mexican food on it the other day and instead of drying cleaning it (as recommended) I thew it in the washing machine, so finger's crossed I didn't just ruin my lovely new skirt!

      Delete
  4. I agree that J.Crew Factory has been hitting it out of the park recently with their new stuff. I have my eye on those same two dressy tees. Good to know that you like them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like them very much! They're a little a little on the looser side, not really fitted, but not boxy either, which is perfect for super hot days. I hate to wear anything clingy when I'm sweating!

      Delete
  5. I thought long and hard about the J.Crew midi dress. I'm going to give it a shot if my size pops back. I really loved the colors it came in and am in need of some new summer/spring dresses. It did get so hot too fast. These past two weeks have been cooler here in Georgia, but I swear those first few weeks were unbearable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. February was strange wasn't it? It go so hot, so fast! It's cooled off a bit here too, so I guess I panicked needlessly, but I'll be ready when the warm weather truly hits!

      Delete
  6. Excellent choices! I am having to stay away from my local JCrew Factory store b/c I want to buy so much every time I go in there. So many great choices! I have that navy t-shirt with the embroidery & think it will get lots of wear as the weather warms up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for being shirt twinsies! :) I swear J. Crew Factory and Loft are my achilles heel. There's a Loft only 10 minutes away from me - super dangerous now that I fit again into the sizes carried in store - but thankfully for my wallet J. Crew Factory is almost an hour away.

      Delete
  7. Love all your purchases! That eyelet dress from Target is so pretty--I'm hoping they restock the mint color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My store never got the mint, so I'm curious to know what it looks like in real life. I hope they restock it so I can see how you style it!

      Delete
  8. You're making me want to run to J.Crew Factory now!! I love everything you got--that dress is gorgeous, and the white linen tee is exactly what I'm looking for right now. Despite being over, I think you bought some great pieces you'll wear a lot!
    Shea | www.shealennon.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shea! I really need to sell some stuff out of my closet that I no longer wear or doesn't fit, then I would feel so bad about being so spendy!

      Delete