Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Mom Style Remix: Not Your Mom's Jeans


I'm so excited to be linking up with Anne and Jen for Mom Style Remix! This month's theme is jeans...which is perfect, because I pretty much live in them on the weekends.

I tend to blog my work outfits and not so much what I wear on the weekends or when I'm in full-mommy mode. Mostly because most of the time my weekend-wear isn't that interesting and, if I'm being honest, my outfit of choice is sweatpants or leggings, husband's tee and an oversized cardigan (what I'm wearing right now as I type this). And if I'm being REALLY honest, sometimes it's jammies all.day.long.

But when I'm going to be seen in public, I try not to scare people and look at least halfway presentable. So, I've learned the art of sneaky dressing - where I look like I care - but really I'm just wearing jeans that feel like leggings, nicer t-shirts and layers (like my beloved cardigans). Basically the same thing I wear at home, just a bit more elevated and still comfy.

My mom style jeans formula = stretchy jeans + interesting tee + layering piece + easy accessories.

I wore all of these outfits in real life, but didn't mess with taking photos at the time (with the exception of look #5), so I recreated them and had my husband take photos in front of our front door. Not the classiest, but it's just about the only shaded spot at our house during the day, so it had to do.

LOOK #1: The Doctor's Office

 

Jeans: American Eagle (very similar)  /  Scarf: American Eagle (exact)  /  Sweater: J. Crew Factory (exact)  /  Puffer vest: J. Crew Factory (similar)  /  Wellies: Hunter (exact)  /  Bag: Nordstrom (exact in other colors, aqua/teal option)  /  Diaper bag insert: Lily Jade (exact)  /  Watch: Fossil (exact)  /  Earrings: Kate Spade (exact)

I wore this last week on a cold, rainy day after being up all night with a sick kiddo. We had a first-thing-in-the-morning doctor's appointment, so this was a thow-on-and-go outfit. My first thought was about warmth, so I wore a bright cheerful sweater in defiance of the rain and topped it off with a puffer vest and patterned scarf, plus anytime it rains = an excuse to wear my Hunters. 

I love this bag from Nordstrom because it doesn't look like a diaper bag, but it functions as one thanks to a diaper bag insert by Lily Jade. I holds all the mommy essentials: diapers, wipes, sippy cup and snacks and I can throw in my wallet and cell phone and am good to go.

LOOK #2: Outlet Shopping

 

Jeans: American Eagle (very similar)  /  Cardigan: Loft (lighter gray stripe option)  /  Shirt: Out of Print (exact)  /   Scarf: Old Navy (cute alternative)  /  Boots: Arturo Chang (LOVE this alternative)  /  Watch: Target (save, splurge)  /  Earrings: Baublebar (similar)  /  Sunglasses: J. Crew Factory (similar)

After being housebound all last weekend with the aforementioned sick child, I was more than ready for an excuse to get out of the house, so I dragged the family out to the outlets and Cracker Barrel. Yum. It was just the slightest bit chilly, so I wore riding boots (flats are must for me when shopping) and a big, comfy cardigan. 

I like wearing a graphic T-shirt, like this Pride and Prejudice tee, to make an otherwise boring outfit more interesting.  

LOOK #3: Running Errands

 

Jeans: American Eagle (very similar)  /  Shirt: Loft (exact)  /  Cardigan: J. Crew Factory (exact)  /  Scarf: Loft (exact)  /  Sandals: American Eagle  /  Crossbody: Sole Society (similar)  /  Earrings: Baublebar (similar)  /  Watch: Target (save, splurge

After taking care of a sick kiddo all weekend, my husband knew I was going stir crazy at the house, so he watched the baby while I escaped to get milk and such from Target...and just happened to pop into Loft...where I found this super cute infinity scarf that matched my outfit perfectly and was on sale, so I grabbed it.

On a side note: Florida weather is weird. I wore the first outfit (sweater, puffer vest and boots on Thursday) and sandals and a thin cardigan two days later and was sweating.

LOOK #4: Lunch with Family

 




Jeans: American Eagle (very similar)  /  Jacket: Old Navy (similar)  /  Sweater: J. Crew Factory (exact)   /  Scarf: Charming Charlie (similar)  /  Purse: Coach (current version)  /  Shoes: Madewell (similar)  /  Earrings: Baublebar (similar)  /  Watch: Fossil (exact)  /  Bracelet: Moorea Seal (similar)

I wore outfit this past weekend when my mom and step dad took us out for lunch. I hadn't worn this jacket in awhile, but now I remember why: it's cute and comfy, but the strings are the kid's favorite chew toy. Teething is rough. :(

Funny story, I thought I looked super casual, but my step dad wanted know if I had plans beforehand because I looked too dressed up for lunch. If he says so...

LOOK #5: Lunch with a Girlfriend

 



Jeans: American Eagle (very similar)  /  Cardigan: Loft (similar open cardigan)  /  Shirt: J. Crew Factory (exact in limited sizes, cute alternative)  /  Clutch: Clare V. (exact)  /  Booties: Vince Camuto (exact in black and cognac)  /  Watch: Target (save, splurge)  /  Earrings: J. Crew Factory (exact)

Okay, this time I'll freely admit I was going for a more dressed up look. I wore this outfit to lunch with a friend from grad school. She has a son just a few months older than my daughter, and it was fun to catch up on life and talk toddler.

This outfit also served double duty since I wore it to work Friday (thank goodness for jeans Fridays!). The sparkles give it bit of a dressed up look, but it isn't too over the top. Another odd side story, that day I had two separate people asked me if they could pet my leopard clutch. Ooookay.

Next month's Mom Style Remix theme is sweatshirts...not something I wear a whole lot, but it's always fun to get creative and think of new ways to wear clothes!

17 comments:

  1. The pink one is my favorite. I need to get with it. I feel like all of my jeans looks are similar to your first look and are with a vest. The sparkle in your lunch with friends look is perfect. And I love the purple in your running errands one. I love all of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing wrong with vest and jeans. I just got into the puffer vest trend this year, and all I can think is, what took me so long? Jeans + vests is amazing! I go through color phases, and apparently I'm all about pink and purple these days. :)

      Delete
  2. I love these looks! I'm all about the comfort as well. I too like to make my lounge clothes presentable. Love this post!
    Unique Geek

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I could live in pjs all the time I would, but since that's not exactly socially acceptable, I try to find things that are soft and comfortable to wear in public. :)

      Delete
  3. These looks are all so adorable! I love the running errands one and the doctor's office ones best!

    Becky
    bybmg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becky! Those are my two favorites as well. :)

      Delete
  4. Such great looks! I am majorly crushing on that pink JCF sweater...so pretty! Kinda bummed they are nearly sold out BUT it looks like they have stock in petite sizes..I might take a gamble and give it a try. Question for you though- is yours the vibrant fuchsia or bright cerise? Do you feel it's pretty thin, like you need a cami underneath? I like that it's thin enough to layer but hoping it isn't super sheer so it can be worn on its own. And has it held up well, no pilling? I've had that issue with some sweaters lately (mainly Target ones) so want to make sure! Ok, done with all my questions :-) When a Momma finds something that'll work in her closet, she's gotta go for it!
    Valerie
    www.the-style-files.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Valerie, I looked at this sweater again last night and I think it leans toward vibrant fuchsia, there's a hint of purple in the mix. It's reading hot pink in my pictures, but AJ wore the same sweater yesterday, and I think it looks more true to color in her photos: http://ajwearsclothes.com/home/2016/2/9/aj-wears-a-pink-sweater

      It's a thinner knit. Not see-through, but if you live somewhere cold, you'll definitely want a cami for warmth. So far it's held up well, no pilling. I HATE when sweaters do that. I wore one from J.Crew yesterday and by the time I got home it was a pilled mess. What a waste of money! But so far this factory version has held up really well! I also have the Sawyer sweater in red and wore the heck of it over the holidays and it still looks great. Hope that helps!

      Delete
    2. Super helpful, thanks so much! LOVING the color. I just placed an order...and my size became available today so no petite--woo hoo!

      Delete
  5. I love all of these cute, casual weekend looks and could totally see myself wearing them too! My favorite is the one with the pink sweater, scarf, and leopard flats--that pink color is so pretty!
    Shea | www.shealennon.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shea! This shade of pink isn't something I normally go for, but I've been really loving it lately, it's so bright and cheerful!

      Delete
  6. I love so many things about this! "Sneaky dressing" - so true and smart. And the outfit formula is such a beautiful thing to have, isn't it? I love that you mentioned "interesting tee" because that's exactly the kind of thing I think can make mom style practical and stylish. Just picking pieces with a little bit of interest goes a long way - works the same as wearing a ratty old tee but so much more presentable, and makes a lady feel so much better, right? Love all your layering and great pops of color too - the two looks with the pink sweater are my favorites, and I'm copying one soon with my own pink sweater :) Thanks so much for joining us and for putting together such a great post for the linkup!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Outfit formulas really are the best. It's so much easier to have an idea of what works, it takes the guesswork out of getting ready. I loved your pink sweater so much, it inspired me to get this one, so thank you so much! It's such a fun color!

      Delete
  7. I am loving all your looks, but especially that last one! A nice little bit of sparkle really dresses up a t-shirt, cardi and jeans look! And that formula is so perfect. That is so the way to go. I'm all about my puffer vest, but I really need to break it out a little more. I think a hot pink tee like that would be so fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just recently got into puffer vests, they're perfect for Florida winters and add a little extra warmth without having to bother with a coat (that you're just going to ditch halfway through the day anyway)!

      Delete
  8. I love all these looks but the first one is my fave! Love the combo of the hot pink sweater with the vest and the plaid scarf!

    xo,
    Abby of Life in the Fash Lane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Abby! I turned out to be one of my favorites as well!

      Delete