Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Mix of Old and New


As I've continued along my blogger adventure, there's been such temptation to keep buying new. I feel like I have absolutely nothing to wear, when the closer truth is that I have haven't tried to remix what I already own, or I own a bunch of things that are close, but don't quite work. Don't get me wrong, I love new clothes - the excitement, all the wardrobe possibilities - but going forward, I want to rely less on new and more on rethinking what I have. I have so many clothes I never wear, and I'm making it a goal to weed out what doesn't work or isn't getting worn and concentrating on pieces that will actually have longevity in my closet. Of course there's still new clothes in my future, I just want to be smarter about my purchases.

For example, how many times have you seen me wear these pencil pants? I know I easily wear them once, if not twice a week. In fact, I've worn them so much that they are starting to get all stretched out and faded. Not such a great look. Thankfully, The Limited still carries them, so I foresee re-buying them in the very near future - and being better about how I treat my black clothes. I've heard black woolite is the way to go!

So, most of the items in this outfit are old: sweater, top, pants, necklace, shoes and watch, but I added a newer bracelet and earrings so I didn't feel like I was wearing an old/rehashed outfit. In fact, I wore a very similar outfit in May, but the different sweater and shoes give it a whole new look (many thanks to my husband's photo skills and patience, because they look sooooo much better now!)

Cardigan: Loft (similar)
Pants: The Limited (exact)
Shoes: Target (similar)
Necklace: Charming Charlie (exact)
Watch: Fossil (almost exact in rose gold)
Bracelet: Loren Hope (exact)
Ring: Loft (cute alternative)


Also, this will probably also be the first and last time you see these shoes on the blog. As mentioned before, I went from a 9.5 back to a 9 in shoes and these fall into the category of too big. Plus they don't breath. Seriously, who wants stinky sweaty feet? I just ordered the Madewell Mira flat (at more than 50% off!) to try, so if it works I'm donating/trashing all my other cheap black shoes!




8 comments:

  1. I love this look! And I love those pants. :) Do you find they run true to size?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they run true to size. These are a 16, but after having the kiddo, I sadly couldn't button them. Now that I've lost a few pounds, they button and fit nicely!

      Delete
  2. Doing the capsule for a little bit helped me figure out how to remix my wardrobe and helped me fall back in love with little worn garments. I'm not sure if I would do a strict capsule again, but working with just a few items really helped me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if I want to do to a complete capsule wardrobe either (I still like to have my options), but I do like the idea of work with less. :)

      Delete
  3. I'm not sure if I tagged you back on IG, but I wanted to say thank you for sending me the style challenge! I plan to participate, maybe not every. single. day, but some. I love the look you featured today because it's office worthy and I also love the braid! Seriously considering those pants, too! Thanks for the link. Hope you have a wonderful New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, every day can be a bit much. Can't wait to see what you come up with! :)

      Delete
  4. Great post. I'm working on some style stuff for the new year and just did a closet inventory... yikes. Made me realize I have way more than I think, and I really don't need that much - so I was thinking many of the same thoughts as your first paragraph. Going to try to not buy in January, unless replacing/improving something. Love the replacement flats you picked (those will be such a wardrobe staple!) and the color of your cardigan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flats came in yesterday, and they're great! I so pleased I found a pair a like and can now get rid of all the cheap "don't quite work" pairs. That's half my closet battle, a lot of stuff that kind of works but isn't quite right so I never wear it. Once I do my clean out, I definitely plan on doing an inventory as well so I'll have a better idea of what I have and what I need. :)

      Delete