Thursday, December 17, 2015

12 Outfits for Christmas


'Tis the season to be holly, jolly and wear every piece of red clothing you own, because, you know, it's Christmas! By far my favorite holiday of the year, I love any excuse to get dolled up and look festive. Since t's definitely not feeling like winter this holiday season, these 12 looks are for when it's really not that cold outside. No coat required. 

So, without further ado, and in the spirit of the "12 Days of Christmas," I give you my 12 Outfits for Christmas (I'm a nerd :).



I'm all about easy layers and stretchy pants when it's time to power-shop. Cute flats that keep your feet comfy are a must when walking through stores in search of the perfect present.

Shirt: Target (similar)  |  Pants: Loft (exact)  |  Vest: J. Crew Factory (checkered option, knock-off via Amazon)  |  Necklace: Kendra Scott (exact)  |   Earrings: J. Crew Factory (exact)  |  Watch: Fossil (very similar)  |  Shoes: Target (exact in other colors, similar red)  |  Bag: Coach (current version)
 
I'm all about capturing the memories while decorating the tree and house. This outfit's easy to move around in while putting up the tree and looks good in photos. With the toddler, this year we were lucky just to get the tree up and slap a few ornaments on the thing, much less take photos of the process. But if we had, this is what I would have worn. Oh, well, next year...

Sweater: Old Navy (similar)  |  Shirt: Ann Taylor (cute similar)  |   Jeans: Banana Republic (similar)  Scarf: Charming Charlie (very similar)  |   Necklace: Kendra Scott (exact)  |  Booties: Vince Camuto (exact)  |  Bag: Coach (current version)  |  Watch: Fossil (very similar)


A girls' night out during the holiday season as a great way to take a break from all the Christmas crazy. I'm a firm believer that we girls dress up more for each other than we do for boys, so I pulled out all the stops when putting together this outfit for drinks and celebrations with girlfriends.

Sweater: J. Crew Factory (exact)  |  Skirt: Boden (similar)  |  Necklace: J. Crew Factory (exact)  |  Earrings: J. Crew Factory (exact)  |  Watch: Fossil (very similar)  |  Bracelet: Loft (similar)  |  Clutch: Clare V. (exact, save)  |  Shoes: Old Navy (similar) 

This look is perfect for a during the day work party. Ours is at lunchtime, so everyone comes in their work clothes, hangs out for an hour or two, then heads back to the office. For these type of events, it's great to look festive, but not over-the-top, since there's still work and meetings and such for the rest of the day.

Sweater: J. Crew Factory (exact)  |  Shirt: Target (similar)  |  Pants: The Limited (very similar)  |  Clutch: J. Crew Factory (exact)  |  Earrings: J. Crew Factory (exact)  |  Necklace: J. Crew Factory (exact)  |  Bracelet: Loft (similar)  | Watch: Fossil (very similar)  |  Shoes: Old Navy (similar)


Though my husband and I now work in a more casual environment, in the past I loved going to an after-hours, formal work party. Drinks and dancing are always fun! I love the bright hue of this dress and that it's made from a structured ponte knit which helps enhance the figure while hiding lumps and bumps. Plus, the fabric has plenty of give, which is perfect for dancing.

Dress: J. Crew Factory (exact)  |   Necklace: Kendra Scott (exact)  |   Earrings: J. Crew Factory (exact)  |  Watch: Fossil (very similar)  |  Clutch: Clare V. (exactsave)  |  Shoes: Old Navy (similar)


This outfit is perfect for going out for cocktails with friends, or one of those parties that isn't formal, but isn't really casual either (don't you hate trying to dress for those events?) The plaid is fun and helps keeps the outfit from looking like you just came from work.

Shirt: Old Navy (similar)  |  Skirt: Eloquii (exact-plus, similar)  |  Clutch: J. Crew Factory (exact)  |  Earrings: J. Crew Factory (exact)  |  Necklace: J. Crew Factory (exact)  |  Watch: Fossil (very similar)  |   Bracelet: Moorea Seal (similar)  |  Ring: Charming Charlie (similar)  |  Shoes: Old Navy (similar)

Tacky sweater parties are the best, but I'm not down with buying a pricey ugly sweater (dang, those things can be expensive!) I originally wore this outfit several years ago and it's been hiding out in the my closet ever since. To make it, I stole one of my husband's sweaters and safety-pinned on tinsel and fuzzy pom poms - and voilĂ  -  a literal Christmas tree sweater.

Sweater: Old Navy: (similar men's sweater embellished with tinsel, pom poms and star tree topper) (fabulously tacky tree sweater, also in plus)  |  Pants: The Limited (similar)   |    Shoes: Target (exact in other colors, similar red)  |   Ornament earrings: Target (similar)



A festive outfit is perfect for the last day of work before the holiday break. No one wants to be at work, so you might as well dress cheerful and make the best of it (and hope that the boss lets everyone leave a little early)!

Shirt: Loft (exact)  |  Pants: The Limited (similar)   |  Necklace: Kendra Scott (exact)  |   Earrings: J. Crew Factory (exact)  |  Watch: Fossil (very similar)  |  Bracelet:  Loren Hope (exact)  |  Clutch: Clare V. (exactsave)  |  Shoes: Old Navy (similar)

My all-time favorite holiday tradition is Christmas Eve services. Even my casual church breaks out the hymns, light candles and read the story of our Lord and Savior's birth. It's just so good to be reminded the real reason we're celebrating. The usual jeans and flip-flops don't feel appropriate, so I tend to stick with a simple dress and dress it down with simple accessories like scarves and booties. 

Dress: J. Crew Factory (exact)  |  Scarf: eBay (very similar)  |  Booties: Vince Camuto (exact)  |  Necklace: Kendra Scott (exact)  |   Earrings: J. Crew Factory (exact)  |  Watch: Fossil (very similar)  |  Bracelet:  Loren Hope (exact)

One of our family traditions is to get new pajamas on Christmas Eve. On Christmas morning everyone looks fresh and somewhat put together for pictures. (Oh, and your eyes aren't deceiving you, there's only ornaments from mid tree and up. The toddler tree is a very real thing my friends.)

Sleep bottoms: J. Crew Factory (exact)  |  Tee: Target (similar)  |  Knit cardigan: J. Crew Factory (exact)  |  Slippers: Target (similar)  |  Gift box: Target (exact)


After opening presents, Christmas Day is a whirlwind of visiting our families and eating a lot of delicious goodness. A cozy sweater and stretchy jeans (for food babies) are definitely the way to go!

Sweater: Old Navy (similar)  |  Shirt: Old Navy (similar)  |  Jeans: Banana Republic (similar)  |  Booties: Vince Camuto (exact)  |  Bag: Coach (current version)  |  Earrings: J. Crew Factory (exact)  |  Necklace: J. Crew Factory (exact)  |  Bracelet: Moorea Seal (similar)  |  Ring: Charming Charlie (similar)  |   Watch: Fossil (very similar)



After Christmas is over, the gifts are unwrapped and cookies eaten, there's still New Year's to look forward to! I like the idea of a little sparkle (like this skirt) to start the new year off right. Because everything is better with glitter (or in this case sequins).

Shirt: Ann Taylor (cute similar)  |  Skirt: Chico's (similar)  |  Clutch: (similar)  |  Necklace: Kendra Scott (exact)  |   Earrings: J. Crew Factory (exact)  |  Watch: Fossil (very similar)   |  Shoes: Old Navy (similar)
I hope you enjoyed my 12 Outfits for Christmas post as much as I had putting together! It's nice to have a plan and not to scramble around last minute trying to figure out what to wear (which is my usual MO). I'm all about anything that alleviates some stress. Merry Christmas everyone!

//  Today I'm linking up with Work Clothes, I Suppose for the Third Thursday Threads prompt: Holiday Cheer.   //

16 comments:

  1. I love the touches of red in some of the outfits. This is a great way to incorporate the color without overdoing it :)

    xo,
    Abby of Life in the Fash Lane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a sucker for red, but for me, it's one of those colors I feel I can only get away with wearing a lot during the holidays. For the rest of the year, a touch here and there keeps it from being too over the top.

      Delete
  2. LOVE this! So many fabulous pops of red. The skirt/plaid shirt combo is a favorite, as is the lovely red sweater/striped pencil skirt combo. And your tacky sweater! So so great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne! It's funny, the skirt/plaid shirt was one of my least favorites, but only because after seeing it in pictures, I think the skirt needs to sit a bit higher on my waist. Nothing a trip to a seamstress can't fix! The tacky sweater is one of my favorites too. I wore it for a holiday party several years ago with every intention of unpinning all the tinsel and such so the sweater could be re-worn, but instead it just sat in my closet. Opps!

      Delete
  3. Ha! I am inspired to go raid my closet for red! Merry Christmas to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure I dug out every single item of red I own. :) It was fun to find ways to wear it all!

      Delete
  4. I think these are some of your best looks ever! I really like the casual shopping outfit, the red dress, and the sparkly skirt with the striped top. You have given me so many good ideas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm so glad you liked the post. I've had that sparkly skirt sitting my closet for ages, and I love it, but I've been stumped on finding new ways to wear it. Many thanks to Anne for inspiring me to try it with stripes!
      http://www.anneinresidence.com/2015/12/wearing-lately-december-mini-wardrobe.html

      Delete
  5. Erin, I love you so much. Please blog forever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my goodness thank you so much! I seriously needed that today. I told my husband on the way to work how I still love blogging, but - especially during the busy holidays - it's been feeling more like work instead of fun. It's good to know my efforts are appreciated! Merry Christmas! :)

      Delete
  6. I love love love all of these outfits - thank you!! I think the tacky Christmas sweater is my absolutely favorite though

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of my favorites too. I'll take just about any excuse to be ridiculous. :)

      Delete
  7. These are all SO cute!! Definitely pinning this for future reference. Also, you look fantastic in red!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline! It's a fun color and perfect for the holidays. :)

      Delete
  8. Pencil skirt and a JCrew sweater always looks good on you. I think you finally convinced me to invest in that sweater. Loved both dresses too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I hope it works out for you. I've worn it with black pants, a skirt and jeans and have been really pleased with it. :)

      Delete