Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Black and Tan


During the Christmas holidays of my sophomore year of college I worked at Express. I thought it would be so awesome to be surrounded by pretty clothes and all the lovely discounts, but basically I just greeted people and told them about the day's sales (whether they wanted to hear it or not). And after hours of mind numbing standing there, after closing time, I helped put the store to rights. I still have nightmares about it being 2 a.m. and still having the fix the jeans wall. *shudder* Silly, now that I look back on it, but I guess as much as I love clothes, clothing retail just wasn't for me.

There's a point to this story, I promise. :)

The season I worked there, our dress code was black and tan. I pretty much lived in caramel colored dress pants and black shirt. It's funny how things come back around, because here I am 10 years later, and I'm basically wearing my old work uniform. Hopefully, it's a little more grown up and polished, but I guess as much as things change, they still kind of stay the same.

When going super simple, I think wearing an element with a subtle pattern really helps to liven up the outfit. If I had worn a plain white tee, the outfit would have still looked nice, but the subtle dot print helps give it a little something extra. A patterned skirt or cardigan would have done the same trick. This outfit has a bit of a fall feel to me (wouldn't it look cute with riding boots?) so I paired it with my favorite Target sandals to give it a bit more a summer feel.

Do you find yourself repeating looks from years ago? Or maybe I'm just stuck in a rut.

Sweater: J. Crew Factory (exact)
Top: Loft
Skirt: Loft (similar)
Sandals: Target (exact)
Necklace: Kendra Scott (exact)
Watch: Fossil (current version)
Bracelet: Gojgana Twist Cuff via Rocksbox (exact)


I'm linking up with The Pleated Poppy for What I Wore! Be sure to see what all the other lovely ladies are wearing this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment