Tuesday, August 15, 2017

flashback

garnet kimono, maternity pink tee and white jeans 1

Wearing these Birkenstocks are like a major flashback to the past. In high school birks were my jam - I had the double strap version in a very similar color to this and in brown leather as well as the mules in the same tan/grey suede. I wore them so much I had to have the soles replaced. So comfy, so granola, so high school. But at some point I outgrew my obsession and moved on to whatever it was a wore in college - flipflops, sandals, should I admit it's be so long that I don't really remember?

Flash forward 17 years - I can't believe I graduated from high school 17 years ago -  and suddenly Birkenstocks are "in" again. (Or at least they are in the Panhandle of Florida, though we aren't exact the most fashion forward :). I'm really liking this updated version with the straps around the big toe, they definitely look a little more feminine than their predecessors. And they're just as comfy as a remembered, though they do take some breaking in (which I had forgotten about). I couldn't resist throwing on this cute garnet kimono, figuring I might as well embrace the boho vibes. :)

I can see wearing them with shorts, seriously how adorable are these maternity lace shorts? - and possibly with a dress, though I'm not 100% on how I'd style it. Thoughts? My parents kindly offered to watch the small one for few days two weekends from now, so the husband and I are in the process of planning a last minute baby moon. We haven't decided exactly where we're going, but I do know these sandals will be going in my travel bag!

garnet kimono, maternity pink tee and white jeans 3
shoes: Birkenstock (exact)  |  kimono: Target (exact)  |  tee: GAP maternity (exact, non-maternity version)  |  jeans: GAP maternity (similar, non-maternity option)  |  necklace: Kendra Scott (exact)  |  watch: Fossil (cute alternative)
  
garnet kimono, maternity pink tee and white jeans 7_resized garnet kimono, maternity pink tee and white jeans 4 garnet kimono, maternity pink tee and white jeans 2 garnet kimono, maternity pink tee and white jeans 5 garnet kimono, maternity pink tee and white jeans 6  
shop the post:

//  Sharing on The Style File, Trend Spin and What I Wore.   //

4 comments:

  1. Birkenstocks are a high school throwback for me too that I wasn't so sure about at first, but I kind of love my white ones now - updates like that to the style seem to make it work (or maybe I'm just convincing myself they're cool because they're comfy - ha!). I made peace several years ago with the return of my other main high school staple: the denim jacket. But seeing overalls on people nowadays and remembering that I actually wore them in high school occasionally - ACK. NEVER AGAIN.

    Love this overall boho look, and I can see the Birks with a maxi dress or even a short striped dress for a more sporty look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't gotten a denim jacket yet, though I love them on other people. I'm sure I'll cave - eventually. :) And I agree, NEVER again to overalls, or chokers or those horrible clunky heeled loafer things I used to wear.

      Thanks for the suggestion for trying Birks with a maxi dress or striped dress - I'll have to try it out!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Garnet and pink are one of my favorite color combos!

      Delete