Friday, July 7, 2017

nursery inspiration

The other day I realized baby boy will be here in about three and half months and I still hadn't really thought about what to do for his nursery. Similar to big sister's nursery, I had a vague idea to play with pattern and bold colors. But that was about it.

To give you an idea of what I'm working with, here's what the room currently looks like - only add a lot of unpacked boxes.

nursery before 1 nursery before 2

While the blue doesn't look too bad in these pictures, in real-life it's not so great - a bit bright and there's some damage to the paint on the walls, so we'll have to repaint anyway. And if you're wondering what the strange box in the closet is, it's clearance for the stairway. Odd, amiright? The plan is to paint all three bedrooms, including this one, in Benjamin Moore's Stonington Gray. Eventually the carpets will be ripped out and replaced with dark wood floors - we're leaning toward these bamboo floors from Home Depot. Which will more than likely happen sometime after baby is born.

Last time around I had a general idea of what I wanted in Aubrey's nursery and just bought things here and there without any real planning. It all worked out, but there was definitely some trial and error (and returns) along the way. So this time around, I wanted to have a more thought out plan. After hitting up Pinterest (seriously, what did we do before Pinterest?), I've decided on bold, graphic prints with little hints of woodland whimsy, heavily inspired these navy patternednautical and rustic nurseries. I really like the idea of navy with the gray walls with a pop of bright color - like burnt red.

nursery inspiration

sources:
crib: Target (very similar)  |  dresser: Target  |  gray glider: Babies R Us (similar)  | nightstand: Target  |  log seat: Land of Nod  |  curtains: Walmart  |  navy plus rugLand of Nod  |  bear blanket: Land of Nod  |  polka dot knit blanket: DIY (knitting pattern here)  |  monogram pillow: Target  |  lamp: Target  |  rocking moose: Ikea  |  navy crib sheet: Pottery Barn Kids  |  crib bumper: RH Baby & Child  |  crib skirt: RH Baby and Child  |  swaddle blankets: Little Unicorn  |  bear stuffed animal: Target  |  bear metal wall decor: Hobby Lobby  |  woodland mobile: TinyLuck  |  campfire nightlight: Land of Nod

A few things big sister's outgrown will move into this room including a white crib and a gray upholstered glider. Since gray was a prominent color in her nursery as well, I'll be able to reuse some of the gray crib sheets and changing pad covers.

Realistically, I know this is more of wishlist vs. everything that'll end up getting for the room. But I'm super happy with this nursery inspiration board, and will be on the lookout for sales and cheaper alternatives for some of the more expensive items. For example, for Aubrey's nursery, I made her crib skirt and bumper, so I may end up making some for this nursery as well. At least I've started on the red dotted crib blanket, so I know that will be going in the room. :) I'm also convinced I can DIY a version of the adorable bear blanket and wood stump. The question is, how many DIYs is it realistic to accomplish in three and a half months with a very curious toddler in tow? As much as I love to craft, sometimes it's just easier to buy it. My husband really wants to paint a mountain mural on one of the walls - something like this - but that's another wishlist project that might not happen (but I hope really does).

Looking for more house inspiration? Check out my master bedroom inspiration board here.

5 comments:

  1. I don't know if my first comment posted. Anyways, I highly recommend using fabricworm.com if you are going to see anything for baby boy's nursery. I didn't find out the gender ahead of time but I still wanted a cool vintage mid century sort of vibe and I wasn't happy with the fabric selections I saw in the store. I mixed and matched a few prints from the same line on fabricworm and the results were perfect. I get compliments all the time on his room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo...thanks for the fabric suggestion, I can't wait to check them out. Super impressed that you didn't find out the gender beforehand, I think that's so cool, but I just had to know! :)

      Delete
  2. So cute! Love the color palette (Stonington Gray is a favorite around here too) and the graphic touches. Can't wait to see the results!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I really need to get moving on this room. I have a feeling the next three months are going to fly by!

      Delete