Thursday, May 25, 2017

pin to present: felt starfish & seahorses

Since it's been a few months since I've done a Pin to Present post, I thought it would be fun to show off the cute felt starfish and seashores I made for the small one's upcoming mermaid birthday party.

pin to present starfish inspiration
source: Lia Griffith

My inspiration came from Lea Griffith's felt starfish and felt seahorse stuffies. She has the basic instruction available through her website, but you have to pay a yearly membership to download the templates. I opted to design my own on a sheet of 8.5x11 paper then followed her instructions. 

pin to present starfish and seahorses 6 pin to present starfish and seahorses 5 pin to present starfish and seahorses 2

Based on Lia Griffith's felt vendor recommendations, I purchased wool felt from Bensie Design in shades of seafoam, lilac, swan and blush. I ended up ordered waaay more than I needed, so I'll have to find another felt craft project in the future. :) The bigger pastel pearl beads are from Amazon, the small seed beads leftover from the dollarstore nutcracker makover (originally from the $1 spot at Target), and the embroidery thread is from JoAnn's. The buttons I found leftover in a tub from who knows what project, but you can find them easily at any craft store.

While the DIY itself was pretty simple, it was a bit time consuming to sew on all the beads and to whip-stitch around the creatures and stuff. To make the four starfish and one seahorse took two evenings. The kiddo loves them and has already been playing with them all around the house, so I know they'll go to good use once the party is over. So worth two evenings of work. :)

pin to present starfish and seahorses 1 pin to present starfish and seahorses 8 pin to present starfish and seahorses 4 pin to present starfish and seahorses 7

2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh they are SO cute! I think I like yours even better than the originals - such lovely colors you chose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks. I think her's are little better constructed than mine, but I really like the colors I choose as well!

      Delete