Monday, May 22, 2017

monday musings: week 20

Another Monday, another edition of Monday Musings. Each Monday I share a different "get to know you" style Q&A. I invite you to join in the comments below so I can get to know you as well!

Q: Are you an introvert or an extrovert?



A: I like to call myself an introverted extrovert. For work a few years ago, I took the Myers-Briggs personality test. Basically, you answer a series of questions which breaks down how you interact with the environment (introvert vs. extrovert), mental energy (intuitive vs. observant), decision making and emotions (thinking vs. feeling), approach to work, planning (judging vs. prospecting) and confidence in abilities and decisions (assertive vs. turbulent). I came out almost a split introvert/extrovert with a slight lean toward being more introverted. My full results are INFP-T (introverted, intuitive, feeling, prospecting, turbulent). If you're interested, here's a link to a free version of the test.

So what does that mean exactly? I hate big crowds, small groups are better, and one-on-one is best. I love to talk with people I know, but clam up around strangers. I don't like to put myself out there, yet I take a lot of enjoyment out of blogging and interacting with people on this space. I can make myself be outgoing, but I desperately need alone time. However, I get lonely if I have too much of it. A perfect example is this Saturday when my husband took our kiddo over to his parents for the day and I had the whole house completely to myself. It.was.glorious. Until it wasn't. I started the day reveling in my freedom - I could read a book, watch what I wanted, run errands toddler-free, but by the end of the day I missed my family and was ready for everyone to come home so we could hang out. I was so dang bored with just myself. But if I don't have alone time I quickly get grumpy and snappish.

I found this article that really sums up I am -  a big ol' ball of contradictions.

What about your? Are you an introvert, and extrovert or a combination of the two? Let me know if the comments below!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, it would take me a lot longer to be sad that my spouse and kid were out of the house for the day... is that bad to admit? :) I've always known that I'm introverted, but I've definitely been learning more that it's not an either/or thing, but it's a spectrum. And also I had to realize that I CAN be outgoing if I'm an introvert, but I just really need that alone time to recharge. Also I find it much easier to practice being outgoing via the internet (putting myself out there on my own blog, commenting on other peoples', etc.) and have found that the practice has helped me do so a bit more in real life too, so that's kind of cool. Still totally an introvert though :)

    I love that article you linked to! So interesting.

    ReplyDelete