Monday, April 17, 2017

monday musings: week 15


Welcome to Monday Musings. Each Monday I share a different "get to know me" style Q&A. I invite you to join in the comments so I can get to know you as well!

Q: Name a frivolous purchase you've made recently, and what compelled you to buy it.

mirror

A: Our new home is lovely, but it definitely needs a little TLC. The outside desperately needs a new coat of paint, and the previous tenants were smokers who swore they only smoked outside, but the inside still has a lingering smell of smoke and wet dog, so we want to rip out the upstairs carpet (which is well-worn and stained anyway) and paint to help eliminate the odor. That being said, the logical first thing to buy would have been a gallon or 10 of paint, but instead I bought a mirror. A gorgeous, girly completely impractical mirror.

I've been lusting after it for over a year, but it didn't fit the style of our old home. I love having a mirror near the front door as a kind of last look for misplaced hair or lipstick, but the mirror from the old house is modern and doesn't fit the styling of our semi-Victorian style home. Pregnancy has kind of limited me on what kind of DIY help I can provide (like no painting) but I can wield the debit card, so I made the purchase last week while Pier 1 offered 20% and free shipping with no surcharges. The mirror is scheduled to arrive tomorrow, and I can't wait to hang it. My one small stride to making the house feel like our home. :) I envision it going into a small nook near the front door and like the idea of adding a small entryway table as a pretty catchall for keys. Maybe something like this simple console table that comes in a variety of hues...white, teal, espresso...how can a girl decide?

How about you? What impractical purchase have you made lately? Let me know in the comments below.

2 comments:

  1. Ha I love that - and totally something I would do (and just did). We have a bunch of money that's about to go out the door for new windows and kitchen reno but I'm overwhelmed by all of the decisions to make, but I just went ahead and get myself another throw pillow for the couch instead... in pink no less :) This mirror is so pretty! I love the idea of it with a little console table in an entryway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least a throw pillow splurge is a lot cheaper than a mirror! :) Which has been giving me nothing but grief. The original mirror arrived completely broken in half, the second one the main mirror was shattered. I'm going to try one more time to have it delivered to my local Pier 1 - fingers crossed this time it won't be broken!

      Delete