Friday, March 24, 2017

home tour: living room


I'm excited to show off my favorite room in our home - the living room. It's evolved a lot in the last eight years. Picture builder's grade white walls, beige carpet and a gold velour sofa and you have a pretty good idea of what this space looked like.

The living room circa March 2008.

photo by: Christina Shults Photography

floors: Dynamic X  |  sofa: Laura Ashley (very similar)  |  bar stools: Target (exact)  |  mirrored bookcase: World Market (similar)  |  Audrey painting: painted by my husband (similar)  |  rattan cubes: Ikea (exact)  |  ceiling fan: Lowes (exact)  |  wooden storage bin: Target (exact)  |  curtains: Walmart (similar)  |  rug: Ikea (similar)  |  ottoman: World Market (exact)  |  peony arrangement: Target (exact)


The floors are probably my favorite thing about this room (followed by the amazing aqua walls). Replacing the floor was more of an accident, than a desire to upgrade. The day before the kiddo's first birthday party, my husband knocked over a lit candle directly in the middle of the floor creating a huge singed black hole in the carpet. Not attractive. Thankfully, we found this gorgeous laminate flooring, which was originally intended for a retail space but the buyer decided it was too light, at cost. I think it turned out perfectly in our beachy home. My husband installed it all himself - a definite benefit to being married to a handyman. :) And I love the how it really upgraded the space. 


My husband painted me this lovely Audrey Hepburn painting as a present for our first Christmas together. 

Random side story: I originally wanted the living room to be green and went through at least 10 different green paint samples before throwing in the towel and painting the walls Bher Embellished Blue. I didn't even get a sample, just bought two gallons of aqua and went it with. I think it was a good decision, since I can't even imagine the space green now.


Audrey painting: painted by my husband (similar) |  silver velvet pillow: Pier 1 (exact)  |  striped pillow: H&M (exact)  |  diamond pattern pillow: H&M (exact)  |  throw: JoAnn's (similar)  |  peony arrangement: Target (exact)

I took these black and white architectural photos in St. Augustine during my honeymoon. The top print is of the staircase inside the St. Augustine Lighthouse and the I believe the second is of a stained glass window inside Flagler College.  The matted frames are from Walmart, so it was a cheap and easy DIY!

chair: Pier 1 (cute alternative)  |  pillow: H&M (exact)

This cute little chair lives next to the TV/entertainment center. It's perfect for when we have company a need an extra seat.

The most recent home living room editions are the plethora of pillows, gorgeous teal ottoman and peony centerpiece. The little frog is an Avon antique perfume bottle from the 1970s and I like the way he looks next to the pretty flowers and an aqua candle. The silver tray is old - I actually forgot I had it until we put a bunch of stuff in storage - but it works perfectly to hold a few knickknacks or drinks.

photo by: Christina Shults Photography

via Instagram

Looking for more home tours? Check out the curb appeal edition of the home tour here and tune in next Friday for a tour of the kitchen and bathrooms. 

6 comments:

  1. Such a great room, and that ottoman! What an incredible piece! I am a huge fan of teal as well. Both my kitchen and office are variations on the hue :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love teal in home decor (obviously)! I bet a teal kitchen looks fabulous!

      Delete
  2. i love how open this home is and the super high ceilings. the hubs is a great artist, wow.
    b

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, he's pretty amazing. Sadly he doesn't do much with it, but everyone once and awhile I can get him to make me something lovely!

      Delete
  3. Oh I LOVE how bold the wall color is! I'm a neutrals girl for wall colors in my own home, but this is stunning, and so you. And I already loved the artwork and how the black & white plays off the vibrant wall color so well, but then that your husband made the painting, and you took the photos? Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that we've moved into our new home, the one thing I really miss about this place is the bold living room. Sadly, bright teal walls don't fit the style of our new home, so I'll just have to find new ways to work in some teal accents. :)

      Delete