Monday, January 16, 2017

monday musings: week 3



Happy Monday friends! It's the end of a long holiday weekend, so forgive me for being a bit late in the day in posting this week's installment of Monday Musings. For the next year, each Monday will feature a different Q&A. I invite you to join in, since half the fun is getting to learn more about you as well!

Q: What did you want to be when you grew up and how does it align with what you're doing today?

A: I was one of those kids who couldn't decide on just one thing they wanted to be. One of the earliest was a writer (all my stories started with "it was a dark and stormy night"). Then it was a travel photographer/journalist, an artist, a book editor (getting to read for a living seemed like bliss), and right before I graduated from high school a historic preservationist. 

a writer, an explorer, a photographer, an artist - just a few things I wanted to be

In college I worked at a gift shop and fell in love with the idea of owning my own business and being surrounded by unique things that bring people joy. But I also knew I wanted to stay in college forever if I could just figure out a way to make that happen without having to do all the school work. :)

Today I work in marketing - though I really consider myself a glorified graphic designer - for a university. I also do a fair bit of writing, photography and event planning. My day-to-day varies, sometimes I'm designing a brochure or billboard, other days I'm writing press releases or student profiles, and other days I'm creating centerpieces of an event and later taking photographs. So in some ways, I'm kind of doing a lot of the things I said I wanted to do when I "grow up" - I write, design and even recently had the opportunity to help edit a book. And I figured out a way to stay in school forever. :) My job is super creative, and I can honestly say I love it.

I do still dream of one day owning my own gift shop. But much later down the road. Right now I'm pretty darn happy where I'm at.

It's your turn! What did you want to be when you grew up and is it anything like what you do today? Let me know in the comments below.

2 comments:

  1. Brilliant! You found a way to take all of your childhood dreams and turn them into one career.

    ReplyDelete