Monday, January 2, 2017

monday musings: week 1


With the start of the new year, I thought it would be fun to start a new behind the blog series, called "Monday Musings." The next 52 Mondays will feature a different know me prompt. I invite you to join in, because half the fun is getting to learn more about you as well!

week 1: What is your full name and why did your parents give you that name?

my response: my full name is Erin Nicole. The story goes that my mom picked it out but my dad agreed to it because of some hot actress named Erin in the 80s. A bit ew, dad, amiright? My mom chose Erin because it means "peace" and Nicole because she thought meant "liberty," but it really means "justice" - but I suppose it's very all-American just the same. :) Erin also means "Ireland," but I don't have a drop of Irish in me, but instead lots of Scottish on my mom's side and Dutch and German on my dad's side.

me as a chubby cheeked little bit  //  dad and newborn me  //  Christmas morning with my mom

My parents didn't know any other Erins and thought they'd given me a pretty uncommon name, but I ended up growing up with a ton on Erins - though the spelling varied - Erinn, Ehrin, etc. I kind of wished I'd had something a bit more different growing up, but funnily enough as an adult, I don't know too many Erins anymore. 

your response: You're up next. What's your full name and how did you come by it? Let me know in the comments below!

4 comments:

  1. Oh I love this idea! Especially because this first prompt is so great - I love talking name origins. It's fun that you have a story (and cute baby pictures to boot!), and that you have that random connection to a name you chose for your child... my random connection is that if I had been a boy, my parents were going to name me Peter. And then I married one!

    I've never gone by my full name but I love it because of where it came from - Angeline Marie. My family is pretty matriarchal, naming daughters after each other. My great grandma (who was alive until my early 20s) was Angeline, my grandma is Evangeline, my mom is Angelea, and I'm Angeline. Hoping to continue the line eventually :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love your full name and the family connection. Aubrey's middle name is Lillian, after my grandmother. I wanted that family connection for her as well!

      Delete
  2. What a fun prompt! I knew several Erins growing up, but like you, don't know any as an adult!
    My name is Caroline Whitney--Caroline was/is my great grandmother's and aunt's name, and Whitney is my mom's maiden name. When I lived up north, there were hardly any other Carolines, but it seems down south that every other girl is named Caroline!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never thought about it before, but Caroline is a bit of a southern name. :) I love the name Whitney - how cool that it was your mom's maiden name. My maiden name definitely does not transfer to an even slightly normal sounding middle name, so I spared my daughter, but I LOVE the idea of it!

      Delete