Monday, July 25, 2016

sister knows best


A little over five years ago, I wore a dress with a very similar silhouette to this one - full, pleated skirt and a nipped-in waist - in my sister's wedding. It looked gorgeous on the other girls, but I was convinced I looked terrible and at least twice my size. But I love my sister, so I threw it on and rocked it anyway. And that was the last time I wore anything like it.

Fast forward to March when I saw this chambray striped dress on Groopdealz. I loved how cute it looked on the model, but just knew the dreaded full, pleated skirt wasn't for me. But I kept gravitating back to it, it was just so dang cute! After obsessing over it, I took a risk and ordered it anyway, fully prepared to hate it. It was one of those things were I had to prove to myself that it was terrible so I could get it out of my head.

But you know what? I don't hate it. Not at all. I love the vertical stripes, the high necklace line and sleeves are perfect, and it hits at the right part of the knee. Yes the skirt is full, and yes it makes my hips look wide, but my waist looks comparatively small. Somehow, all together, it works. Sister was right, I was wrong.

So sis if you're ready this, I'm sorry I doubted the wisdom of your dress selection. Full skirts with nipped-in waists are pretty awesome. It only took me five years to realize your genius. Better late than never, right?

dress: Journey Five via Groopdealz (exact)
sandals: Target (similar)
necklace: Kendra Scott (exact)
earrings: Stella & Dot (exact)
watch: Fossil (exact in rose gold)
bracelets: J. Crew Factory (exact pave link) and Bourbon and Boweties (exact pearl)


I snagged this dress more than half-off retail through Groopdealz. While it's not currently on their site, it seems to pop up pretty frequently, so if you want one, I'd wait for the deal to come back. I'm pretty sure jane.com gets it as well from time to time. It also comes in gray stripe, darker blue stripe, purple stripe and solid chambray. This isn't a plug for Groopdealz, I just want to help you save a few dollars if you're interested. :)


//   Sharing on Mix it Mondays and Confident Tuesday.  //

8 comments:

  1. This dress with the sandals! Just GORGEOUS!

    Abby | Life in the Fash Lane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, it was super fun to wear!

      Delete
  2. This dress is SO cute on you! I will be heeding your advice and stalking Groopdealz to snag one for myself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo...you should!!! I'm typically a 14/16 and got this in an XXL to give you an idea of sizing. :) Happy shopping, can't wait to see how you style this dress!

      Delete
  3. The dress is super flattering! I love the nautical vibe with the stripes and your shoes are perf :)
    -Kristin
    countdowntofridayblog.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes it looks so good on you! I think a nip at the waist is good for lots of bodies... and now I'm going to need to stalk the site for myself :) Such a perfect summer look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne! I hope you get it too, I'd love to see how you style it!

      Delete