Tuesday, July 12, 2016

mom style remix: colored bottoms

I love a good colored pencil or midi skirt, but tend to stick to black or navy when it comes to pants, jeans or shorts. I heard a "rule" somewhere that curvier girls should stick to dark colors on the bottom and patterns and lighter hues on top. A rule I blindly stuck to for years, until this past spring when I began experimenting with lighter hues - specifically all things pink - and discovered that sometimes it's fun to break out of the black/navy mold...rules be darned.

For today's Mom Style Remix: Colored Bottoms, I've assembled eight looks I've recently worn that feature either rose pants, blush jeans, dusty pink shorts or a pinkish-lavender skirt.

look #1: stripes + pink shorts
 tee: Target (similar)  |  shorts: Loft (exact in other colors)  |  sandals: American Eagle (exact)  |  watch: Fossil (exact in rose gold)  |  bracelet: Bourbon and Boweties (exact)

I wore this outfit last Saturday around the house and running errands. A super simple outfit, with a striped shirt to give it a little character. If I'm not lounging in pjs, this is my go-to summer weekend momiform.

look #2: chambray + pink shorts
  shirt: J. Crew Factory (exact)  |  shorts: Loft (exact in other colors)  |  shoes: Sperry (exact)  |  watch: Fossil (exact in rose gold)  |  bag: Sole Society (exact in black)

I originally put this outfit together for the sneakers edition of Mom Style Remix. I still really like the blue chambray paired with the blue striped shoes and it'll be perfect come late summer/early fall in Florida when it's still warm but not "oh, my gosh I'm gonna die" hot anymore.

look #3: chambray shirt + rose pencil pants
top: J. Crew Factory (exact)  |  pants: Loft (red option)  |  sandals: Loft (very similar)  |  bag: Stella & Dot (exact) |  necklace: Stella & Dot (exact)  |  watch: Target (similar) |  bracelets: Kendra Scott cuff (similar) and SageKandCo (designer dupedesigner original)  |  earrings: Reeds (exact, inexpensive similar)

I originally wore this outfit to work, but I think it would also transition easily into weekend. Plus, this bag makes a great small diaper bag/toddler snack holder!

look #4: navy + rose
  shirt: J. Crew Factory (cute alternative)  |  cardigan: J. Crew (exact)  |  pants: Loft (red option)  |  sandals: Loft (very similar)  |  bag: Stella & Dot (exact) |  watch: Fossil (exact in rose gold)  |  bracelet: Bourbon and Boweties (exact)

I think the pink really makes this outfit and is my favorite way I've worn these pants so far. It's a flip on the above mentioned rule: navy on top and color on the bottom. Living wild with this one...:) (original post here)

look #5: stripes + cardigan + pink pants
  shirt: Loft (similar)  |  cardigan: J. Crew (exact)  |  pants: Loft (red option)  |  sandals: Latigo Milly (exact)  |  necklace: Kendra Scott (exact) |  watch: Fossil (exact in rose gold)

While this outfit would look pretty decent with black pants, pink ones are so much more fun, and this darker shade is bold without being too flashy. (original post here)

look #6: arrow tee + blush jeans
sweater: J. Crew (similar)  |  shirt: J. Crew Factory (cute alternative)   |  jeans: American Eagle (exact)  |  flats: Latigo Milly (exact)  |  necklace: Kendra Scott (exact)  |  watch: Fossil (exact in rose gold)  |  bracelets: Bourbon and Boweties (exact pearl, exact arrow and black option)  |  bag: Kate Spade (small version in very similar shade)  |  earrings: Reeds (exact, inexpensive similar)

I originally wore this outfit to work on a casual Friday, but think it's also great for the weekend and just the right mix of casual but put together - perfect for toddler chasing. 

look #7: chambray blazer + blush bottoms
 blazer: J. Crew Factory (exact)  |  shirt: J. Crew Factory (cute alternative)  |  jeans: American Eagle (exact)  |  shoes: J. Crew Factory (exact)  |  necklace: Kendra Scott (exact)  |  earrings: Kendra Scott (exact in other stones)  |  watch: Fossil (exact in rose gold)  |  bracelet: Bourbon and Boweties (exact

Since the majority of my outfit photos feature work looks (since I aim to stay in pajamas as much as possible on the weekend), this is another semi-casual look. The blazer dresses it up for the office, but lose the jacket and it transitions nicely into casual-wear (for that umpteenth Target run).

look #8: fancy pink pleats
top: Loft (similar)  |  skirt: J. Crew (similar in peach)  |  shoes: J. Crew Factory (exact)  |  necklace: Kendra Scott (exact)  |  earrings: Kendra Scott (exact, with other stones)  |  watch: Fossil (exact in rose gold)  |  bracelets: Kendra Scott (cute alternative) J. Crew Factory (exact)  |  ring: Kendra Scott (exact)

This is by far one of my favorite looks I've ever worn on the blog! The pleats are so pretty and polished and the chambray shirt keeps it from looking too fancy. Another work look, but I could easily see wearing it to a fancy brunch with girlfriends or to a wedding or baby shower.

Thanks Anne and Jenn for hosting the #momstyleremix series! Before to check out the other linkups for some great colored bottom inspiration!

What more #momstyleremix? Check out my T-shirt, cardigans, sneakers, sweatshirts and jeans remixes!

6 comments:

  1. I love all of these fun colored bottoms combos. Those shorts are great--I feel like it's so hard to find shorts, and I love the longer length of these. And the color of those rose pants... love! And they're so versatile too. Great looks!
    Shea | www.shealennon.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm soo not a fan of shorts on me, but these pink ones aren't too bad. The longer length helps. :) Loft does a great pant, I'm glad I found these fun rose-colored ones!

      Delete
  2. Great job with the light colored bottoms. #7 hit it out of the park for dressy casual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm convinced a blazer dress up just about anything - including pink denim!

      Delete
  3. Oooh, I love the color gradient in your collage. Clearly you know what you like in the colored bottoms category, and that's a good thing because you know how to work them! Especially fun to see how you can do a similar color in shorts and in pants for different seasons. But I think that dusty rose + blazer is my favorite - so chic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny, I didn't realize I had so many pink colored bottoms until I started going through my feed to prepare for this post. I guess when you find something that works, stick to it! :)

      Delete