Monday, July 18, 2016

make it work monday: gingham and jean shorts


It's been a few months since I've done a Make it Work Monday post, so I decided it was time for a comeback! I've made it no secret that I am not a fan of shorts on me. no bueno. pas bien. nicht gut. yuck. But, as hot as it's been lately, I've had to embrace the shorts (at least on the weekends) or possibly, quite literally, sweat to death. So, I hit up trusty Pinterest for outfit inspiration with my jean shorts and favorite gingham top. 

gingham and jean short pinspiration: one  |  two |  three  |  four
five  |  six  |  seven  |  eight

I love all the looks, but Natalie's simple styling with just a pair of sandals might just be my favorite. Though I definitely want to try layering with a striped sweater or a cargo jacket this fall! I think if I had to do it over again, I might have tucked in my shirt a bit, though sometimes it's easier not bother. I also think my strappy cognac sandals would have looked better, but they've gone mysteriously missing. Here's hoping they surface soon, I miss them!

top: J. Crew Factory (exact) last seen here
shorts: Loft (similar) last seen here
shoes: Target (similar) last seen here
earrings: Stella and Dot (exact)
necklace: JGoodin via Amazon (exact)
watch: Fossil (exact in rose gold)
bracelet: Bourbon and Boweties (exact)


I'm not 100% in love with this look, but honestly I'm probably never going to happy with shorts. It doesn't matter what I pair them with. Do ya'll have any suggestions on how to make shorts more awesome? My overheated self is desperate for ideas!


//  Sharing on Fizz and Frosting for Mix it Mondays.  //

6 comments:

  1. I love this look, but I'm the same way - I never love the way I look in shorts when photographed. In the mirror I love the look...on the camera, not so much!! But this looks great on you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww thanks. Shorts are just tricky. Ugh. I like these because they don't ride up, so there's that at least. :)

      Delete
  2. I think you're rocking the denim shorts! I'm scared of them. But I echo the sentiment on shorts in general... I think part of the problem is they just don't feel "me" because they just don't feel as polished (or grown up, maybe?) as other kinds of bottoms. So when I wear I typically try to dress them up a bit with fancy sandals (love yours) or a structured shirt/blouse rather than just a cotton tee. But sometimes it's just hot and you just go around in shorts and a tank and feel lame but realize you're going to feel lame no matter what when you're that sticky and the humidity is making the worst hair day ever... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so true, high humidity it the worst. Forget looking cute! And you look great in shorts, your scallop ones are so fun. I'm pretty jealous that J. Crew doesn't have my size anymore.

      Delete
  3. I feel similarly about shorts, and also see the need for them sometimes. I love dresses but I don't want to wear them every single day. I still have a pair of jean shorts but I realized I was never happy with them and figured it was because of their stiffness and that they always felt so restrictive on my thighs, even in the right size. I ended up being two pairs of more breezy, comfy shorts this year, including this pair from J Crew that is just adorable and I've gotten compliments on: https://www.jcrew.com/womens_category/shorts/novelty/PRDOVR~F1577/F1577.jsp. I also bought a pair of chino shorts from Old Navy. Totally recommend something like that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I gravitate toward denim shorts because they don't ride up, not because I'm in love with the way they look. Thanks for the shorts recommendation, I'll definitely have to check them out!

      Delete