Friday, July 8, 2016

Kalamazoo (thorough the lens of my iPhone)


Back in early June, we took a four-day family trip to Kalamazoo for my grandparents' 65th wedding anniversary celebration. Since there was no way I was going to lug a big DSLR through the airport, here's a brief look at our trip through the lens of my iPhone (some of which you may have seen on instagram).


Packing/Traveling:
Since we knew we would be traveling with an unbelievable amount of toddler stuff (how can one small child need so much?!?), we kept the packing as light as possible. Matt stuck to a small duffel bag and the kiddo and and I shared a carry-on size rolling suitcase. For me, creating a packing list beforehand really helped with not over packing.

In addition to the kiddo's carseat, we picked up a small umbrella stroller from Target, which was much easier to lug around than her regular stroller! In addition to diapers, wipes and a change of clothes, we loaded Matt's diaper bag/backpack with toddler-friendly activities, snacks, juice boxes - basically anything we could think of to keep the small one occupied - of which there were two clear favorites: the iPad and washi tape. She loved sticking it on herself (and everything else). Minnie Mouse kid's headphones also came in handy so the entire plane didn't have to listen to Curious George on repeat.




What I wore:
I stayed pretty faithful to my original packing list, but thankfully threw in my favorite striped shirt, and a graphic tee at the last minute. It was a lot warmer than I was anticipating and I wasn't able to re-wear/re-mix as much I had planned.

I wore my comfiest/stretches jeans, polka dot tee and Sperry sneakers on the airplane. On Saturday I wore jean shorts, sandals and a big sunhat, and on Sunday I wore my red midi skirt with a metallic blush tee for the anniversary party and later my jeans, embroidered top and a gray cardi for dinner and drinks.

My Stella & Dot tote ended up being the PERFECT bag for this trip. I wore it as a crossbody on the plane and over-the-shoulder the rest of the time. It was just right size for a wallet, book, iPad (and all the toddler odds and ends that migrated from the backpack to my bag throughout the trip).


What we did:
Since this was a short trip centered around my grandparent's 65th wedding anniversary, we spent most of time with family. We stayed on-site at my grandparents' retirement community, which was pretty incredible with gorgeous walking trails and gardens, music and exercise rooms, restaurants, and a library.

With an active little toddler, we spent A LOT of time walking the grounds. (I think the garden gnomes where her favorite.) On Saturday, the kiddo, my stepmom, sister, nieces and I went to the Kalamazoo Institute of Arts Fair. At was an interesting mix of arts and crafts, food vendors and music. That afternoon/evening we all went to my aunt and uncle's lake house. The kids' went tubing and my kiddo spent most of the time in the water or playing with my aunt's golden-doodle Roo. Goodness that kiddo loves dogs, I think I see us getting one in the near future...

My grandparents' had a lovely turnout for the anniversary celebration on Sunday. I especially loved seeing all their old wedding photos (my grandmother looked stunning)! That evening I met my blogging buddy Anne in real-life (though we were both bad bloggers and forgot to get a picture together). She is just as lovely in real-life as she is on her blog. Meeting her was definitely one of the highlights of the trip!

The next day it was back through the airport and back home.


I hope you enjoyed this little mini-recap of our family vacation. Matt and I fell in love with Kalamazoo while we were there. Lots to do and see, and I'm especially enamored with blue spruce trees now. :) Hopefully it won't be too long until we go back!

2 comments:

  1. I still can't believe we forgot a photo - even an iPhone one! But it was super fun anyway. And this is making me think we should make our way over to Kalamazoo sometime. Fun recap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, complete blogger fail. But that's okay, it was still a great time!

      Delete