Saturday, May 28, 2016

Wear to Where: Curious George Birthday Party



The kiddo's second birthday party was last weekend and was centered around her current obsession - Curious George - with lots of yellow and pink (instead of red). This is what I wore for the party - a combination of cute, comfy and casual. And pink, of course!

Brace yourself for a long post. The first part features outfit photos for the Wear to Where style challenge and the second part is all about the party details. It's a bit of a long read, but worth it I hope!


Today's the final day of Wear to Where - a fantastic week-long blogging tour that puts together sewers and fashionista for different style challenges. Today's feature is a summer party and I thought Little Bit's party was a perfect fit!



For the party I wanted to wear something that would be super comfortable, easy to move around in (a must when chasing after a toddler) and coordinated with the party theme. I settled on a pretty linen top, blush pink jeans and sandals. Little Bit wore a cute yellow polka dot dress with white leggings and daddy wore a Curious George tee. We were a perfectly coordinated little family. :)


 Top: J. Crew Factory (exact)  |  Jeans: American Eagle  (exact)  |  Sandals: American Eagle (exact)  |  Necklace: Kendra Scott (exact)  |  Watch: Fossil (similar)  |  Bracelet: Bourbon and Boweties (exact)  |  Earrings: Reeds (exact, inexpensive alternative)


Many thanks to Angelia and Katy for hosting this fantastic tour! For more party outfit inspiration, check out sewers Courtney at The Wholesome Mama and Cat at Mary Martha Momma and fellow fashionista Kimi at Cotton Cashmere Cat Hair. Be sure to visit all the participating bloggers, everyone looks fantastic and there's tons of outfit inspiration!

BEANIE AND TALBOTCALL AJAIRE | COTTON CASHMERE CAT HAIR


And now, in my opinion, the best part of the post. Party photos!


I made this fun wreath to greet our guests as them came in the door. I already had everything except the felt on hand, so it was practically free! I used fishing wire to attach George and loosely tied the banner so both could be removed, turning it into spring wreath after the party was over.


I found a great tutorial on Facebook on how to make Curious George cookie cutouts without a cookie cutter. You can read more about my cookie making-adventures here.


I found this adorable little Curious George cake topper on Amazon as well as the pink and yellow balloons pick. (The original was in pastel colors and came in a pack of six - which I didn't realize - so I just took off the blue and green balloons and added in the pink and yellow from the other picks). The banner is just two paper straws and a mini banner I printed on card stock and hot glued to a bit of twine. The cake is from Publix - it's strawberry with buttercream frosting and was seriously delicious.


Little Bit loved the Curious George topper so much, she made me take it off and held on to him for most of the party.


The yellow stand on the right is another DIY made from a wood candlestick and wood round I found at Michaels and a bunch of coats of Martha Stewart satin acrylic paint in couscous. The "2" cardboard number is from Hobby Lobby and wrapped with yarn I had my stash. No method to my yarn wrapping madness, I just wound the crap out of it until no more cardboard showed. The cute little milk bottles where 50% of at Michaels and the straws where from the $1 spot at Target (which I also used as picks for the banner on the cake).


Since not everyone at the party are as big of Curious George fans as we are, I made some little signs to pair the food with characters from the TV show with little frames from the dollar bin at Michael's. I had grand visions of making banana pudding in dessert shot glasses, but couldn't find any I liked at a price I was willing to spend, so I ended up using our drinking glasses. The little wooden spoons where another Target find. Oh, and the pink cake stand on the left is another DIY, made the same way as the yellow cake stand and the large, white ceramic cake stand was $5 from the Target dollar spot.


The pink and white lanterns were from last year's 1st birthday party, the yellow honeycomb poof I found at Target and the yellow floral poof and pink and yellow polka dot balloons were Amazon finds.

Curious George tee: Target (exact)  |  Yellow polka dot dress: Gap Outlet (cute alternative)

It was a great party and the kiddo had a really fun time. She especially loved all the Georges and being the center of attention. I'm really pleased with how it all turned out!

10 comments:

  1. Your top is ah-dorable. Perfect casual outfit for a party that I KNOW you spent running around like a chicken with your head cut off while trying to entertain. (Ask me how I know...)

    The party is so stinking cute! I love Curious George. And hello cookies? You did great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man, those kiddos are cute, but they'll wear you out!

      We love Curious George at our house. The movies and cartoons are so cute and not annoying like so many other children's shows...

      Delete
  2. I love your top! So cute with the crochet detailing. I'm obsessed with gold sandals right now, too, and can't wait until the pair I ordered arrives!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kimi! A little detailing makes the shirt look nicer than just a plain tee - which is my usual weekend wear. :) These sandals are pretty comfy too, and the gold is fun!

      Delete
  3. Oh this is soooo adorable! Everything looks perfect!

    Becky
    www.bybmgblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becky! It was really fun to put together. :)

      Delete
  4. Great top! I love the lace detail on the yoke and sleeves. Aubrey's polka dots are so beautiful too! I'll have to see if AU gap carries something similar for my girls. Well done on her birthday party - you've done a lovely job. - and happy birthday, curious girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good look in your dress search. I'm sure you'll find something great! I found this dress last fall, but she's so close to growing out of it and I'm having a hard time finding something similar. :( The search continues...

      Delete
  5. All so adorable - love all your little details, down to the outfits for the whole family which are all just perfect for the party. So fun! And well done, momma :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm such a nerd - I get a kick out of everyone being coordinated, plus that Curious George tee was just too fun! :)

      Delete