Thursday, April 14, 2016

Warby Parker Home Try-on

Let me start out by staying, this is not a sponsored post and I was in no way compensated by Wary Parker. I just really hate shopping for glasses, and was intrigued by a free-home try-on and a company with a good mission.

I think we're set out for glasses failure from the onset by having pick out frames with blurry dilated eyes. Plus, even with insurance, they're so.freaking.expensive. I've been resisting investing in a new pair because I like the look of my current glasses so much and dread spending $250+ when I could use that money on way more fun things. (Sadly my current pair has bad fissures in one of the lenses and needs to be replaced.) When I saw Warby Parker making the rounds through the blogosphere, I really liked the idea of trying out frames in the comfort of my own home sans dilated eyes. Even better, I could show them to all my friends and get their advice! 

For those of you who are unfamiliar, Warby Parker is an online retailer for prescription eyeglasses and sunglasses. Most eyewear starts at $95 ($295 for progressives) - which includes frames and polycarbonate prescription lenses with anti-scratch and anti-reflective coating.  They have a 30-day return policy and a one-year, no scratch guarantee for lenses. Best of all, for every pair of glasses purchased, they donate a pair of glasses to someone in need. You can read the more about their story here. Some insurance companies will even reimburse, though I haven't yet checked to see if mine will. Still, $95 is still a lot cheaper that what I've paid with insurance in the past. 

So with further ado, here's my Warby Parker experience so far:

First up, the ordering process was super easy. I just browsed frames, added them to my chart and checkout out. A $1 reserve was put on my card. Basically they need your card information in case you don't return the frames. (Read more about home try-on here.) 

I ordered my five frames on a Saturday and they hit my mailbox that following Saturday. A week's not too bad of a wait. And isn't the packaging fun?


So now I'm at the point where I need to get a new prescription and order my frames! In the past I've almost always hated my glasses - I picked them out in a blurry, dilated haze, and they never look as good as I remembered when trying them on in store. Now I have the almost opposite problem - I like several pairs and can't decide which one to go with! So I decided to take pictures with the glasses with different hairstyles and colored shirts to see which would be the most flattering. 

First up, the Annettee in striped sassafras. These are my husband's top pick, and while I really like them, I worry they look too much like my current glasses (see them here). It would be fun to mix it up a bit... 

Next, the Finch in striped molasses. These glasses are so fun, but I'm not digging the super dark frames. I really, really, really wanted to try them in grenadine (a lovely reddish-brown), but they were unavailable for home try-on. I'm sorely tempted to order them in the lighter color, but is the frame size too overwhelming? Isn't there some rule somewhere about being able to see your eyebrows? Or maybe I'm making that up... 

Funny, in pictures I really like the Upton glasses, but they were my least favorite in real-life. The oak barrel color kept throwing me, it just felt too out of my comfort-zone. 

Next is the Welty in plum marblewood. These are the opposite of the Uptons - I liked them a lot better in real-life than in photos. You can't see it in these photos, but the frames have a hint of purple and I thought they were trendy and fun. These were my friends' favorite - and my husband's least favorite. 

And last is the Wilkie in eastern bluebird fade. I was struggling to find a fifth pair of glasses I liked, so I decided to browse the men's section and found these. However, I just looked online and they're now showing up in the women's section as well. It's not reading in these photos, but bottom of the glasses are really pretty blue. My husband tried them on, and they looked really good on him to, and he has a completely different face shape than me! 

So which pair should I go for? Annette, Finch in geradine or Wilkie? Though the Welty's pretty fun too. I need your help to decide! :) 


Fun side note, you can post a collage of you in your glasses on Instagram, #warbyhometry and Warby Parker will tell you which one's they like. Perfect for a non-decisive person like me!

I plan on doing a follow up once I receive my glasses to let you know how I like the final product. :)

This is not a sponsored post. All opinions are my own.

13 comments:

  1. Hello! I'm new-ish to your blog and a first time poster - BUT I'm in the market for new glasses and this post had great timing. SO.:-)

    Since you asked: I can't decide between Finch and Annettee. Originally I like the Finch style the best, but I think that may be because in the collage with all five styles, I love your hair when you're wearing the Finch -- the loose, wavy, tucked back look is great! Once you called attention to how dark they are, I think I agree -- so getting them a bit lighter/more muted sounds great. I *didn't* like the Annettee as much in the five style collage, but in the just Annettee collage, I really like them, particularly with your hair up. Not helpful at all, huh? It seems like you wear your hair down more frequently, so I'm going to go Finch. (I was not a huge fan of Upton -- something about that shape with the turned up corners but smaller frames didn't work for me).

    Good luck! What a cool concept -- I'm going to give it a try. Thanks for all of the great posts! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you stopped by and commented! I'm leaning toward the Finch at this point, but I really love the Wilkie as well. At such reasonable prices, maybe I'll just have to get a second (backup) pair. :) I completely agree about the Upton, there's something off about them.

      So far, I've really enjoyed Warby Parker! The try-on super fun. I hope you enjoy it too. :) Good luck in your glasses search, I'm sure you'll find some great ones!

      Delete
  2. I like the Wilkie on you! Discovered your blog a couple weeks ago and LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Wilkie is fun. I think they actually looked better on my husband than me, and he needs new glasses too, so I'll have to wait and see which ones he goes for. Probably be a bit too confusing to have the same pair! LOL

      Delete
    2. Good point!! :)
      Also, I live in Louisville, so it was cool to see that you are a native. :)

      Delete
    3. Oops, looks like my husband is signed in and it posted under his name- no creepy guy reading your outfit posts. ha!

      Delete
    4. I love Louisville, such a cool city. If you don't already, you should check out Louisville blogger What Nicole Wore (http://www.whatnicolewore.com/) :)

      Delete
  3. I got my first pair (I say first because I'm sure there'll be a second once needed) of Warby Parker glasses last year and love everything about the process. I actually ended up getting two different try-on shipments because I couldn't decide.

    I like the Annette and Wilkie for a more traditional style but I love the look of the Welty as well if you're cool with bigger frames. The Welty is a bit more "playful". Agreed that the Finch could be a lot better in a lighter color. It's cute as is but the darkness makes the frame more overpowering. I ended up with the Daisy, which is similar to the Welty in shape and size, because I realized how much easier it was to see with bigger glasses (less looking down and such).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm kind of hoping bigger frames with help with that as well! I'm always tilting my head this way and that trying to see into my glasses. lol I'm so glad to hear you had a great experience! I always like hearing positive reviews about something before I order. :)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Brianna. I'm pretty sure I'm going with them in the lighter color!

      Delete
  5. So fun! I love glasses as an accessory, so I always like to go for a bold choice (that's the only thing I miss about glasses wearing, since I've had lasik - changing up the look with something else). I think the shape of the Finch is my favorite for something fun and a little different. They'd be so great in the grenadine color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I feel like going with something a bit different as well. Time to mix it up!

      Delete