Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Mom Style Remix: Sneakers

One of the things I love about remix challenges is that they can inspire you to wear something you wouldn't normally think of - a different outfit combination, a new pattern mix, or a clothing item that doesn't normally get a lot of use. Sneakers are by far one of those items in my closet that doesn't get a lot of everyday wear. Sure, they're alright for walking around Disney and exercising, but I've never really been comfortable wearing them casually - probably because sandals have always been my go-to.

So while I love athletic sneakers on other people, I wanted to find something I might actually wear in real-life for this challenge. About two weeks ago I saw a university student wearing these Sperry's Top Sliders, and liked the look of them so much I immediately found them online and ordered them.

At first I was kind of annoyed at myself for buying something just for the sake of a clothing challenge and worried that it'd be another unused item in my closet. But then they arrived, I put them on, and it was love. They're super cute in real-life and have wonderfully supportive inserts that make my beloved sandals feel like walking on rocks. I've seriously been missing out by not embracing the sneaker trend earlier! I've been wearing them no-stop since they've arrived - pretty much if I'm not at work they're on my feet (and there's always casual Fridays for work wear). :)

Thanks Anne and Jenn for hosting these Mom Style Remixes and challenging me to rethink my wardrobe! Be sure to check out the other linkups for more sneaker inspiration!

Look 1: Kimono Sweater, Octopus Tee & Skinnies


Sneakers: Sperry (exact)  |  Tee: J. Crew Factory (cute alternative)  |  Cardigan: Loft (exact)  |  Jeans: American Eagle (similar)  |  Bag: Coach (current version)  |  Watch: Fossil (exact)  |  Earrings: Reeds (exact, inexpensive similar)

I wore this outfit in real-life on Sunday to have dinner with family. I love the comfort of this cardigan and the fun play of stripes on my shirt with stripes on my shoes. Cozy and casual - my favorite.

Look #2: Canvas Jacket, Jean Shorts and a Dotted Tee


Sneakers: Sperry (exact)  |  Shirt: Loft (similar)  Shorts: Loft (exact)  |  Jacket: Old Navy (similar)  |  Bag: Sole Society (exact)  |  Necklace: Loft (similar)  |  Watch: Fossil (exact)  |  Earrings: Kendra Scott (exact in other stone options)

I'm pretty sure I told ya'll before that this jacket was originally purchased as part of a my husband's lion tamer costume for Halloween last year. I never thought it would get much (if any) real-life wear, but I find myself reaching for it all the time - it's a great alternative to a cardigan and perfect for chilly spring mornings.

Look #3: Purple Tee and Skinny Jeans


Sneakers: Sperry (exact)  |  Shirt: Loft (exact) |  Jeans: American Eagle (similar)  |  Bag: Coach (current version)  |  Necklace: Loft (similar)  |  Watch: Fossil (exact)  |   Earrings: Reeds (exact, inexpensive similar

This is another real-life outfit I wore to dinner with my in-laws. Stretchy jeans for food babies, an easy tee and cute sneakers are probably going to be my weekend uniform this spring.

Look #4: Chambray Shirt and Pink Bermudas

 Sneakers: Sperry (exact)  |  Chambray: J. Crew Factory (exact)  |  Shorts: Loft (exact)  |  Bag: Sole Society (exact)  |  Belt: Target (exact)  |  Watch: Fossil (exact)  |   Earrings: Reeds (exact, inexpensive similar)

This outfit turned out to be one of my least favorites, so I guess better to have tried it out here than being stuck having to wear it all day in real-life. The shirt's a bit bulky and paired with the longer shorts, I just doesn't quite work. Ah, well, they can't all be winners, right?

Look #5: Octopus Tee & Jean Shorts


Sneakers: Sperry (exact)  |  Tee: J. Crew Factory (cute alternative)  |  Shorts: Loft (exact)  | 
Bag: Coach (current version)  |  Watch: Fossil (exact)  |  Earrings: Kendra Scott (exact in other stone options)

If look #3 is my spring uniform, this one is my summer! Perfect for when just too darn hot to wear anything other than a light tee and shorts, and a graphic tee helps make the look a bit more interesting than wearing just a plain one.

Look #6: Chambray Shirt, Octopus Tee & Pink Bermudas


Sneakers: Sperry (exact)  |  Chambray: J. Crew Factory (exact)  |  Tee: J. Crew Factory (cute alternative)  |  Shorts: Loft (exact)  |  Bag: Street Level (exact in other colors)   |  Earrings: Kendra Scott (exact in other stone options)

I like the chambray shirt so much better as a layer vs. tucked into these pink shorts. So look #4 might have been a bit of a fail, but I think this one is a winner! I'm definitely plan on wearing it in the near future.

Look #7: Purple Tee, Gray Cardigan & Jean Shorts


Sneakers: Sperry (exact)  |  Shirt: Loft (exact) |  Shorts: Loft (exact)  |  Cardigan: Loft (similar)  |  Bag: Street Level (exact in other colors)   |  Necklace: Amazon (exact, disc option) |  Watch: Fossil (exact)  |  Earrings: Reeds (exactinexpensive similar)

This is another one of my favorite looks, but then I'm not sure I've met a cardigan I didn't like. Another look I look forward to wearing this spring/summer!

Look #8: Canvas Jacket, Chambray Shirt, Dotted Tee & Skinnies



Sneakers: Sperry (exact)  |  Chambray: J. Crew Factory (exact)  |  Tee: Loft (similar)  |  Jacket: Old Navy (similar)  |  Jeans: American Eagle (similar)  |  Bag: Coach (current version)  |  Necklace: Kendra Scott (exact)  |  Watch: Fossil (exact)  |  Earrings: Reeds (exactinexpensive similar)

This is definitely more of a fall look - possibly even winter in Florida. I saw this outfit on Pinterest and wanted to create a similar feel and this is the result. Cute, but I can't say it really feels like something I'm normally just throw on and wear, but that's part of the point of these challenges - to try something different!

Wrap Up:
Out of all the outfits, I think looks #2 and #7 were my favorites - and they feature dreaded shorts! I hate shorts, but cute sneakers definitely make them more palatable. I anticipate these sneakers will be getting lots of wear this spring and summer, so many thanks go out to Anne and Jenn for forcing me to dress outside of my comfort zone! Next month's remix challenge is cardigans, ya'll know I am all over that!

Want more momspiration? Check out the previous Mom Style Remixes: jeans and sweatshirts.

10 comments:

  1. So many great outfits! Just shows how versatile sneakers (or sperry topsiders) are. I love wearing sneakers, but also love slip on espadrilles too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I usually keep my more athletic sneakers for exercising and days when I know I'm going to be walking around a lot. :) These sperrys are perfect for just running around in!

      Delete
  2. Ha, one of the dangers of blogging, right? I've been guilty of pulling the trigger on a purchase because of an upcoming blog post... but I'll help you justify this one, because those are SO cute, and you'll totally make them worth the purchase, clearly, with all the fabulous looks you've already come up with. I did take a while to get on the sneaker thing too, because they felt overly casual, but a stylish pair like this lends itself well to just swapping in to an outfit where you might usually wear flats or sandals, and it makes for a fun twist! I think the cargo jacket ones are my favorite, but that graphic tee is so fun with the nautical stripes on the shoes too. Knocked out of the park as usual - thanks for participating :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for making me feel better about my purchase. :) I love that jacket, I wish I had more opportunities to wear it. Ugh, the struggle of living in Florida. lol

      Delete
  3. I think that last look with shirt + shirt + jacket is actually your best one! All of them are super cute though, love the jean shorts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also liked the way it looked, I just didn't think it felt like me to wear so many layers. Most of the time, it's just too darn hot here for all that! :)

      Delete
  4. My favourite is look #7. I'm definitely going to try that one but perhaps with a denim skirt instead of shorts (I've never been a "shorts person"). Love your blog! Its one of the ones I check regularly :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a huge shorts fan myself, but have accepted them as inevitable in Florida. It would be cute with a jean skirt!

      Delete
  5. I felt the same way about my sneakers - I bought them for the challenge and then worried I wouldn't wear them! But I am amazed at how many outfits they really do work with. And you again totally rocked this with so many outfits! Love how you mix and match the same elements for lots of different outfit possibilities. Graphic tees seem to be a staple in this challenge, and they really do pair well with sneakers. Cargo jackets too. My fave is the layered look with the cargo jacket, tee, and button-up. And those blush shorts are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenn! I had a lot of fun with this challenge and it's always good to get a nudge out of your comfort zone! Plus I got a pair of really cute shoes out of the deal - win, win!

      Delete