Monday, April 18, 2016

Make it Work Monday: Blue Maxi Skirt


I bought this skirt over a year ago one on final sale from J. Crew Factory, but even though I ordered my usual size, it was waaaaay too small. So disappointing. I kind forgot all about it until I did my closet clean out earlier this year. My first thought was to sell it, but since I've lost at little weight, it now fits! Hooray!

I was determined to give it try, but every time I put it on it just didn't look right or I wasn't happy with what I had combined it with, so I'd take back off and find something else to wear. As usual, Pinterest came to the rescue with a bunch of super cute outfits with cobalt (or navy) blue maxi skirts!


Blue maxi skirt Pinspiration:
one  |  two  |  three  |  four
five  |  six  |  seven  |  eight

I love, love, love the skirt with a pretty cream lace top and the casual look with the chambray. I also really like the idea of finding a similar colored top and wearing it with a cardigan and belt...just like a dress, but better.

But for today's look, I decided to try pairing my skirt with navy. Mainly because I hadn't had a chance to wear this shirt on the blog and because I remembered loving Fran's navy and cobalt outfit combo from a few years back. I have a cobalt pencil skirt as well...so that outfit might just have to happen in the very near future. :)

Shirt: J. Crew Factory (exact)
Sandals: Target (similarcute alternative)
Earrings: Reeds (exact, inexpensive similar)
Watch: Fossil (exact)
Bracelets: Loren Hope (exact) and Bourbon and Boweties (exact)
Ring: JewelMint 

With the bun and the skirt, I was worried I looked a bit like an Apostolic Pentecostal (read women don't cut their hair and dress in uber modest attire). So I swiped on some extra mascara and added a few more blingy bracelets to liven up the look. Ya'll'd tell me if my outfit was all kinds of wrong, right?

Shop the post:

Join me for Make It Work Monday! The rules are simple

  1. Link up an outfit that is inspired by a Pinterest pin, a fellow blogger, magazine or other muse, 
  2. link to your specific blog post, not your blog's main page, 
  3. pretty please link back to me and
  4. visit/comment on some other posts for inspiration and encouragement.I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with! And go...!!


//  Sharing on the Adored Life and Fizz and Frosting for Mix it Mondays and Ann in Residence for Pin to Present.  //

10 comments:

  1. Too adorable! I just ordered a blue pleated maxi too and so excited to style it!

    xo,
    Abby of Life in the Fash Lane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love the skirt (and your ring, by the way!) - so much great inspiration, so that's awesome that you realized it now fits :)

    And this makes me realize I haven't done a Pinterest-inspired outfit for my own Pinterest series in forever! I'll have to do one soon and be ready for your next linkup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

      Delete
  3. Absolutely adore that blue skirt! Such a pretty hue! Visiting from the Mix it Mondays link up! Would lov to have you link up with me in the future on Mondays!

    xx, Chanda
    http://www.mschanda.com/2016/04/lets-make-today-fabulous-mommy-me.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chanda! I'll be sure to linkup next week. :)

      Delete
  4. I'm curious about those shoes! I've wanted to buy them, but I have wide feet. Are they pretty slim?? They are 50% off until tonight... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure how wide/narrow the Factory version is. The ones I have from Target are a regular width. I just got the J. Crew Factory demi-wedge sandal, and I think they run a touch narrow, I'm not sure if jeweled flats would be the same. I hope they work for you, they're super pretty.

      Delete
  5. That skirt is gorgeous--I love the pleats and the color! I'm glad it works for you now and that you find lots of ways to wear it. I love it with the navy top!
    Shea | www.shealennon.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited to try some other looks - I'm thinking with a pretty, cream lace tee next!

      Delete