Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Mom Style Remix: Sweatshirts



Sweatshirts aren't something that make it into my everyday fashion often, though I'm not sure why, they're just as comfy as a sweater and when styled right can look super cute and polished. I think the trick to sweatshirts is finding one that has something to make it interesting - like a pattern or lace details - so it doesn't look like your old ratty college sweatshirt (though not gonna lie, I still have mine, it's perfect for lounging).

Since admittedly I'm not a huge sweatshirt wearer, and in honor of Anne and Jenn's Mom Style Remix Challenge, I decided to try a few ways to wear a sweatshirt that isn't with yoga pants or pajama bottoms (my personal fav).

Look #1: Stripes on Stripes

 Sweatshirt: Loft (striped alternative, marbled option)  |  Shirt: Boden (exact)  |  Jeans: Banana Republic (exact)  |  Shoes: J. Crew Factory (exact)  |  Bag: Lulu*s (cute alternative)  |  Necklace: Kendra Scott (exact)  |  Earrings: Reeds (exact, inexpensive alternative)  |  Watch: Fossil (very similar with the coolest face)  |  Bracelets: Bourbon and Boweties (exact pearl, almost exact aqua)

Stripes on stripes for the win? Either way, I like how the white helps break up the black top and jeans and the mint flats add a fun pop of color. A structured bag helps make an outfit look a bit more polished, and you can't go wrong with a fun tassel necklace.

Look #2: All Layered Up

Sweatshirt: Loft (striped alternative, marbled option)  |  Shirt: Loft (similar)  |  Ponte pants: Loft (exact)  |  Jacket: Old Navy (similar)  |  Boots: Arutro Chiang (cute alternative)  |  Clutch: Clare V. (exact)  |  Necklace: Kendra Scott (exact)   |  Earrings: Reeds (exact, inexpensive alternative)  |  Watch: Fossil (very similar with the coolest face)  |  Bracelet: Bourbon and Bowties (exact)  |  Ring: DeJa Vu (cute alternative)

Can it please be fall so I can wear this outfit? Leggings + sweatshirt + boots + light jacket = perfect fall formula. Too bad I didn't figure it out until spring. Opps!

Look #3: Fancy Pants (or skirt)

Sweatshirt: Loft (striped alternative, marbled option)  |  Skirt: Loft Outlet (black floral option, garnet lace option)  |  Shoes: Old Navy (similar)  |  Clutch: J. Crew Factory (exact)  |  Necklace: J. Crew Factory (exact)  |   Earrings: Reeds (exact, inexpensive alternative)  |  Watch: Fossil (very similar with the coolest face)  |  Bracelet: Bourbon and Bowties (exact)

I've been obsessed with pairing a sweatshirt with a pencil skirt since seeing this Pinspiration. I'm not convinced it's a complete win, it's just a bit too much out of my comfort-zone, but it was a fun look to play around with. I think it needs an edgier skirt (like this plaid one) and graphic sweatshirt (this one makes me chuckle) like the inspiration to really work.

Look #4: Hoodie (aka the Bieber)



Sweatshirt: Loft (striped alternative, marbled option)  |  Hoodie: Old Navy (similar)  |  Cords: Loft (similar)  |  Bag: Sole Society (similar)  |  Shoes: Target (similar)  |  Earrings: Reeds (exact, inexpensive alternative)  |  Watch: Fossil (very similar with the coolest face)

A thin hoodie sweatshirt works well paired under a regular sweatshirt, even if I do look like I have Bieber-fever. Still, it's cozy and casual and a colored pant (these are a deep garnet) helps break up all the black and white. I'm convinced cords are a great alternative to jeans - so comfy, and provide more coverage than leggings.

Look #5: Blazin'

Sweatshirt: Loft (striped alternative, marbled option)  |  Blazer: Banana Republic Outlet (similar)  |  Tee: J. Crew Factory (similar)  |  Jeans: Banana Republic (exact)  |  Shoes: Old Navy (similar)  |  Clutch: Clare V. (exact)  |  Earrings: Reeds (exact, inexpensive alternative)  |  Watch: Fossil (very similar with the coolest face)

I really like the idea of dressing up a patterned sweatshirt with a bright blazer. This aqua wool blazer adds a nice color pop and heels make skinny black jeans look all fancy. However, let's be honest, heels aren't always the most practical thing, so I could easily see this outfit with a pair of black or leopard flats.

Look #6: Casual Comfort


Sweatshirt: Loft (striped alternative, marbled option)  |   Tee: J. Crew Factory (similar)  |  Jeans: Banana Republic (similar)  |   Shoes: Target (similar)  |  Bag: Coach (current version)  |  Earrings: Reeds (exact, inexpensive alternative)  |  Watch: Fossil (very similar with the coolest face)  |  Bracelet: Bourbon and Bowties (exact)

For me, this is the perfect running errands outfit. Comfy jeans, flats and layers that can be added on chilly mornings and taken away as the day warms up. My beloved Coach bag makes another appearance, it really is perfect for storing toddler treats, toys, wipes, etc. when I don't want to mess with a full diaper bag.

Look #7: Scarves and Booties 

Sweatshirt: Loft (striped alternative, marbled option)  |   Jeans: Banana Republic (similar)  |   Shoes: Vince Camuto (exact)  |  Bag: Sole Society (similar)  |  Scarf: Charming Charlie (cute alternative)  |  Earrings: Reeds (exact, inexpensive alternative)  |  Watch: Fossil (very similar with the coolest face)  |  Bracelets: Bourbon and Boweties (exact pearl, almost exact aqua)

I'm convinced this scarf goes with anything, whether it's a blush sweater, canvas jacket or garnet blazer. I like the idea of a gauzy scarf paired with a sweatshirt to provide a little visual interest without adding a lot of bulk. Booties are my new favorite go-to to dress up things up a bit, while the distressed jeans and cross body bag keep things casual.

Look #8: Bare Legs

 Sweatshirt: Loft (striped alternative, marbled option)  |   Shirt: J. Crew Factory (exact)  |  Shorts: J. Crew (current version)  |  Sandals: Loft (cute alternative)  |  Clutch: J. Crew Factory (exact)  |  Earrings: Reeds (exact, inexpensive alternative)  |  Watch: Fossil (very similar with the coolest face)  |  Bracelets: Bourbon and Boweties (exact pearl, almost exact aqua)

Shorts are a necessary evil in Florida. If I could live in jeans and layers, I would, but that just doesn't fly June-September. A sweatshirt with shorts makes a nice spring to summer transition outfit, and a fun colored bottom and chambray top help make things a little more interesting. Though I hate shorts, I LOVE sandals, so hooray for free toes!

Wrap Up:

Looking back at the eight outfits, my personal favorites are looks #2 (khaki jacket), #5 (aqua blazer) and #7 (scarf and booties). I'll have to remember them come fall, because it's going to be a long, long time until it's cool enough to wear them!

Funny side note: The sweatshirt I had planned to wear for this challenge is still in China, so I rescued this sweatshirt from the donation bag. I never wore it because I couldn't think of interesting ways to wear it. I think it's safe to say, thanks to this challenge, it's going back in my closet. :)

Want more momspiration? Check out last month's Mom Style Remix: Jeans.

12 comments:

  1. What a VERSATILE piece! I love the stripes on stripes look (but really I love them all!)!

    Becky
    www.bybmgblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I love stripes on stripes. :)

      Delete
  2. GREAT sweatshirt! And I agree with Becky - so impressive how versatile it ends up being. I love that you showed it dressed up and dressed down, and also for multiple seasons/temperatures. I totally get the not really being a sweatshirt wearer, but you better be a believer at least in this particular one by now as you NAILED it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this one is definitely saved from the donate pile! I kind of want one with some lace or other fun detailing, but now that's already in the mid-70s/80s, I probably won't bother looking for one until the fall. :)

      Delete
  3. I just bought a grey/white striped sweatshirt from the GAP so I really enjoyed this post. Looks #4 through #7 were my faves and extra points when the color blocked espadrilles were involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my espadrilles! I bought them to wear as a volunteer for a golf tournament last year and have worn them like crazy since then!

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad you rescued that sweater from the donate pile, because it's so cute! I'm so impressed with all the fun ways you came up with to style it--I especially love the first look with the stripes peeking out of the sleeves, the layered up look, and the look with shorts. I'm pinning this for great outfit inspiration!
    Shea | www.shealennon.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, I'm so glad you liked it! My husband is such a trooper and took photo after photo, outfit after outfit. Can't wait to wear them in real-life!

      Delete
  5. So many cute looks! I never would have thought to layer a sweatshirt under a blazer--I will have to remember that for fall! You're making me wish I had a pair of cute espadrilles...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just stumbled upon them at Target last year. They got kind of crummy reviews saying they didn't hold up, but I took a risk and got them anyway, and they've been great! I've worn them like crazy and they still look good. :)

      Delete
  6. Cute cute cute!! I love it with the blazer and the shorts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Sarah! I'm not a huge fan of shorts on me, and always feel super self-conscious whenever I wear them, so thanks for the ego boost! :)

      Delete