Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Dotted Shirtdress


I freaking LOVE this dress. Mainly because haven't been able to squeeze myself into it for almost four years, but now it once again fits! I still remember the last time I wore it - I had just gotten married, started a new job, and was halfway through graduate school. Happy, busy times. :) In the years since, I haven't taken care of myself the way I should have, especially after having a baby, and last year I peaked at my heaviest, a size 18/XXL. Part of the reason I started blogging was because I was uncomfortable in my own skin and I wanted to find a way to love my body no matter what number I weighed on the scale. The more I gained, the more focused I became on clothes, how they fit, how they looked and I wanted to share what I had learned.

I found out in October of last year that I was developing health issues because of my extra weight, so my doctor and I created a plan to get my health in order. I've lost about 25 lbs. since then. So now things like this dress - that's managed to escape the donate pile because it was just too cute to get rid of - fit again! So glad I hung on to some of that stuff. I knew being a pack-rat would pay off one of these days. I'm at that awkward place where a lot things no longer fit, but I don't want to go completely crazy buying new stuff because I don't know quite where I'm going to end up. I'll never be a skinny-mini, and I feel much better where I'm at both weight-wise and physically, but I can't say I wouldn't mind getting back to my old 10/12 clothing size. But you know what, where I'm at right now isn't too bad either. :) I worked to love my body at a size 18, and while there are still things about my body I'm self conscious about (no crop tops for me!), I like where I'm at now and feel so much more like old self. Lesson learned: it's just as important to take care of yourself as it is your family.


Dress: GAP - super old (sleeveless polka dot, solid white, gingham)
Shoes: J. Crew Factory (exact)
Necklace: Kendra Scott (exact)
Bracelet: Bourbon and Boweties (exact)
Watch: Fossil (exact on sale!)
Earrings: Reeds (exact, inexpensive similar)
Ring: Loft (similar)


Shop the post:

//  Sharing on the Pleated Poppy for What I Wore.  //

10 comments:

  1. Congrats on the weight loss, your post made me smile. The dress fits the occasion, polka dots are the perfect festive exclamation point, and with the double ribbon shoes, fun fun fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tiffany! Polka dots and bows are always a win in my book. :)

      Delete
  2. Congrats on your weight loss! This dress looks great on you :) I love the look of shirtdresses but they never look flattering on me.

    I've been trying to lose weight for quite some time, but haven't been able to stay on track. I know it's a matter of eating better and exercising more, but I struggle with staying committed on the weight loss journey. Do you have any tips for sticking to it or any advice for what's helped you the most? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trying to lose weight sucks. I've tried and failed many times, but what changed things for me was going to an endocrinologist. (I have some issues with my thyroid.) I could lie and say that eating better and exercising magically made the weight fell off, (though that is certainly a big part of it), but the truth is, my doctor also prescribed me a weight loss pill to help jump-start things. Obviously, that's not for everyone, but I wasn't having any success on my own and decided the short-term risks were worth the long-range benefits. The pill is only for a short while to get your metabolism back up and to get used to eating smaller portion, then it's all on you - eating well, exercising, changing lifestyle habits, etc. I haven't talked about it on here because I worry that it'll open a whole big can of worms, but I also want to be transparent, so there is it. I hope that helps!

      Delete
  3. That's amazing! Major congrats! I'm so glad you hung on to this dress--it looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm such a hoarder...sometimes - like in the case of this dress - it works out in my favor. :) Most of the time is just drives my husband nuts! lol

      Delete
  4. I love the sheer simplicity of this look! That polka dress is just adorable!

    xo,
    Abby of Life in the Fash Lane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I love color, but sometimes simple is so easy and nice!

      Delete
  5. Congrats Erin! I love your blog so much. I have a very similar body size to yours, (used to be a 12, am now an 18), and I find so much inspiration in your beautiful outfits. Thank you for being that bridge between skinny mini and plus size that many of us fall into, yet can't find much representation of!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Part of the reason I started blogging was because I didn't see a lot of representation of people that are just average-sized, you know? Not exactly plus size, but not skinny either. Girls who looked my friends and people I see everyday. I love how more and more women of all shapes and sizes are embracing fashion/lifestyle blogging. This really is a great community to be a part of. :)

      Delete