Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Vintage Flare


I love vintage fashion, especially looks from the 40s and 50s. Everything is so timeless and classic. While I'm not about to start sporting victory rolls or seamed stockings, lately I have been injecting a little retro-vibe into my wardrobe. I think the trick to keeping your outfit from looking like a costume is to pair your vintage-inspired pieces - like a sparkly brooch, midi skirt or Mary Janes - with more modern pieces. So for this outfit, I kept it simple with a blush sweater and cranberry pencil skirt so the unique pieces could really shine.

I think this would make a lovely Valentine's Day outfit. It's not over-the-top red and pink, but still romantic.

Sweater: J. Crew (exact clearanced)
Skirt: Loft (similar)
Shoes: Nina Shoes (Modcloth has so many cute options - mint peep-toe, patent black scalloped, yellow suede - my favorite!)
Clutch: J. Crew Factory (exact)
Brooches: Baublebar (exact) and Etsy (lots of great options)
Watch: Fossil (exact)
Earrings: Baublebar (similar)

I love these shoes, but sadly they mostly hang out in my closet collecting dust. After pregnancy, my feet grew a half-size and wearing these lovelies guaranteed a foot-full of painful blisters. So beautiful, so not functional. Assuming they no longer fit, I had planned to get rid of them during my closet clean out, but couldn't bring myself to part with them. I  had originally planned to wear nude heels with this outfit, but then I saw these shoes in my closet and realized they matched so well I had to them one more try. Assuming I'd be covered in blisters by half-day, I brought a pair of flats to work to change in to, but didn't end up needing them! Since I've lost a little weight, my foot has returned to its original size and these shoes ended up being a lot more comfortable than I expected. The day was blister free. Success! Who knew your feet shrank with the rest of you? 


The two larger star brooches are from Baublebar and the smaller burst pin I found on Etsy. The seller said it's from the 1910s, but with no markings, I'm not really sure how to verify that. It's obviously vintage, and I got it because it coordinated with the other two brooches, was under $25 and I love the pearl details and little sapphire blue stone...which is my birthday stone. 

On a random side note, before you think I'm being all fancy and found this gorgeous, rustic spot to take pictures, in real-life this a parking lot fence beside a dumpster behind a Schlotzsky's. But it looks great in photos, right? Smoke and mirrors my friends. 

// Sharing on the Pleated Poppy for What I Wore.  //

8 comments:

  1. I love this outfit! All your cranberry and blush looks make me want to go on a cranberry and blush shopping spree, especially since rose quartz is apparently the next big thing... pantone & Erin, you may be messing with my budget, but I need really some color in my black & navy closet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been wearing a lot of naturals lately, so it was fun to mix it up with this outfit. I got this skirt because the university I work at's school colors are garnet and gold, but I'll confess, I like it better with pink. :)

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous shoes! I am sorry they don't fit any more. The might even be worth the pain though, right?? I love the sparkly brooches. I wear them on a regular basis. Just enough glitz for my job as a teacher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, they do fit these days. After losing a few lbs, I've managed to go back down the half size I gained after pregnancy. Thank goodness!

      Delete
  3. Love this color combination!! You're right that this would be perfect for Valentines Day without being over the top. Very cute look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, guess I'm just going to have to dress up for Valentine's Day (wearing red today) leading up to the big day, because I'm leaving for a work conference in Nashville super early Sunday morning, so no Valentine's Day for me. Oh, well, it's a fun holiday but kind of more of a greeting card holiday, so I'm not too disappointed.

      Delete
  4. Hope you don't mind me asking, but what size do you take in Tippi sweater? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Mel, I wear an XL in the tippi sweater. Hope that helps!

      Delete