Saturday, February 13, 2016

Outlet Dressing Room Reviews: J. Crew Factory and Gap Factory

After being cooped up in the house with a sick toddler, I made my now healthy family go with me to the outlets in San Destin last Sunday. Here's a review of a few of the things I tried on:

First stop J. Crew Factory. Fran tuned me into this striped boatneck sweater in her latest Top Three post. I tried an XL and found it to be true to size, decently soft and a nice, thick knit. Cute sweater, but I just wasn't in love with it. On my monitor, on the store's website it looks like a deep pink, but it's a true red in real-life.

Verdict: Pass

I had high hopes for this lace tee - the lace was gorgeous and I loved the soft white color - but sadly it was a little too lose/low in the neck. I also wasn't a fan of the shirt being longer in the front than the back. It's not currently for sale on the website, but might still be worth looking at in store. For reference, I tried on an XL.

Verdict: Pass

I love this skirt and am so, so sad it's not on the website. I tried on a 14, which as you can see is a bit tight...if they'd had a 16, I would have bought it immediately. It's a thick weave, and holds in all the lumps and bumps quite nicely, and the navy dotted print is seriously cute. If this one ever shows up to buy online, I'll be getting it. A long sleeve blouse with the same pattern is available online.

 Verdict: Reluctantly pass

loved the idea of this pom pom tunic. I tried it on in an XL and while the fit was good in the waist and arms, it was a little tight in the chest area. I like it a little better tucked in, which is why I included photos of it tucked and untucked. It's pretty sheer, so a tank is a must. I think I would have liked it better if it fit more like a shirt than a tunic, the length seemed off to me. 

Verdict: Pass

really like the shape and fit of this laser cut dress. The material felt a little cheap to me, as poly can sometimes feel, but it didn't look cheap and it was super figure flattering. J. Crew Factory dresses tend to run a little short on me, but the length of this dress was perfect. I tried on a 14 which was too small, I couldn't zip it all the way, so that's why there's no side shot. I definitely wouldn't pay full price for it, but over all I really liked it. It comes in pink and blue as well, but word of warning they are really BRIGHT in real life, like neon bright. 

Verdict: Pass, but may order a size up during the next sale

I love the pattern and sleeve length of this dress, but it was too short and didn't have enough shape. This is a 14. I tried it belted, but it was ridiculously short. I'm kind of sad this dress isn't available as a top, because I love the cute and pattern of the top part of the dress. It is available in the same print in a tunic, a sleeveless top and mini skirt.

Verdict: Pass

I'm obsessed these mint suede flats. I find J. Crew Factory shoe sizing to be a little off. I'm usually a 9 in flats, but the 9 was too big (pictured on the right) and the 8.5 a touch too tight (pictured on the left). In pictures, I thought the 9s looked ridiculously large - just look at all that toe cleavage! - so I went with the 8.5 in hopes that the suede would stretch out. I wore them all day yesterday and they have stretched a little bit, they're perfectly comfortable in the heel and width areas, but still a little tight in the toe box. I'm going to try the sock/hair dyer trick too see if I can't stretch that area a little more. 

Verdict: Purchase

Next stop was Gap Factory. I love that their factory store is now online! I really liked how this shirt looked on the hanger, the navy was something different than what's currently in my closet and I really liked the scattered white and pink dot print. It's rayon, so I don't image in you'd need to iron it, and it felt soft and silky on. I tried it on in an XL and it had a nice, relaxed fit with no button gaping (a common problem for me). I decided not to get it because it was $40 on sale and I worried it just wasn't special enough, but now looking back it in pictures I'm kind of sad I passed on it. It's on sale right now for $32 - with an extra 15% off with code GFSTARS - and if I hadn't already bought a bunch of stuff this month (hello busted budget) I'd be tempted to order it. Maybe next month...

Verdict: Passed, but now I wish I hadn't!

I feel like this sweater looked cuter in real life than it does in these photos. It's a pretty blush color and felt soft and was a thicker knit. Something good for seasonal transitions, but would be too warm for Florida spring/summer. I tried this on in an XL and L and the XL was HUGE, it definitely runs big. The L is pictured above. I ultimately decided not to get it because I don't think we're going to have too many more cool days and I already have a thinner, longer blush cardigan. Though it would have been PERFECT for Nashville next week. Thick, warm and not too sloppy. It's on sale for $21, is it too late to run back out and get it and the dotted shirt above? Kidding..sort of...

Verdict: Reluctantly passed

This shirt is available online in white and blue stripe, but I guess the pink stripe is only available in store. I tried it on in an XL and was kind of underwhelmed by it. Cute, but not worth having to iron every time I wanted to wear it.

Verdict: Passed

I also went to Loft Outlet, but since they don't have an online site, I didn't want to show you things you couldn't easily look at for yourself. :) But for those of you who are curious, here's a pic of the two things I did buy:

You can see this skirt in yesterday's post and I can't wait until it warms up enough to wear this mint shirt. Apparently I'm going through a blush/mint phase. I got the shirt in a L and the skirt in a 16. If you are by a Loft Outlet, it's worth going into, they have a ton of cute stuff right now.

I went online shopping crazy and ordered and received stuff from Ann Taylor, Boden J. Crew, The Limited and Express, so further reviews to come in the near future!

2 comments:

  1. Awesome reviews! I'm planning on going to the outlets near me today, so I will keep my eye out for some of these items!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you make it to the outlets? Hope you found some good deals!

      Delete