Monday, February 15, 2016

Make it Work Monday: Polka Dot Pants


I have this weird hang up that pants can't be too boldly colored or a crazy print because it might call attention to my larger thighs. Which I realize is a complete and utter nonsense, because I'll wear a bright color, pattern or heck both in a pencil skirt. Contradiction or not, I feel like I'm stepping, way, way out of my comfort zone with with these polka dot pants.

I've been on the quest to find work pants that fit after losing a little weight, and found these polka dot Banana Republic Sloan pants on major sale. The pattern looked pretty subtle online, and for $35 on sale, I was willing to give them a shot as opposed to paying $88 for one of the solid colors.

I love the feel of them, they're a thick material with plenty of stretch, but don't stretch out too much during the day. They originally came to the ankle, but the material is thick enough that I could do an inward cuff and make them crop pants, and they stayed that way all.day.long. Crazy.

Since I loved the feel and the cut, I decided to give these pants a trial run in the real-world, but was immediately faced with the dilemma of what in the heck do you wear with black polka dot pencil pants?!? Thanks to Pinterest, I found plenty of inspiration. Seriously what did we do before Pinterest?

Pinspiration:
onetwo  |  three  |  four  
five  |  six  |  seven  |  eight

My favorite looks where the two with blazers (five and seven) and I especially loved the bright yellow. Man, now I wish I had a piped yellow blazer. Anyway... since I don't own a yellow blazer, I decided to wear my gray flannel blazer and bright pink sweater for a pop of color.

I got a lot of real-life compliments and these pants where seriously comfy all day long, but is it weird that I'm still unsure of the polka dots? Not that they aren't cute, but I'm not convinced I'm the type of person that can wear such a thing as dotted pants. See, told you, I am ridiculous. Maybe the solution is to wear them over and over until they feel like the new normal? :)

Pants: Banana Republic (exact in limited sizes, gray with black dots)
Blazer: Loft (nearly identical, lightweight wool option)
Sweater: J. Crew (exact in other colors)
Shoes: Old Navy (similar)
Clutch: Clare V. (exact
Necklace: Kendra Scott (exact)
Earrings: J. Crew Factory (exact)



Quick question: Make it Work Monday used to be a linkup, but I stopped hosting since, at the time, it didn't seem like something people were interested in participating in. So my question is, if I revived the linkup, would you want to join in? I love seeing what other people are doing and it would be fun to see how other peoples' outfits are Pinspired.

Make it Work Mondays are on the third Thursday of the month and the rules are simple - linkup an outfit that was inspired by Pinterest, blogger or other muse. So, please vote yay or nay below! And don't worry, if no one wants to participate, I'm still happy doing my thing here on the blog, Make it Work Mondays aren't going away anytime soon!

// Sharing on In Residence's Pin to Present.  //

14 comments:

  1. You can TOTALLY pull off polka-dotted pants. For whatever reason, I actually feel more comfortable wearing flashy colors & patterns (or both) on the bottom than as a sweater, shirt, or blazer. So keep polka-dotting away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kara! I guess we're opposites...you wear your flash on bottom and I wear my up top. :)

      Delete
  2. I think the polka dots are really cute! I have a pair of red polka dot pants, but I don't wear them often because it feels like I'm dressing too Christmas-y. I get tons of compliments when I wear them, but I still feel funny wearing them when it's not Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Red polka dot pants sound cute! I feel you though, I also wear most of my bright red around Christmas time.

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous outfit and I just love that clutch. Pairing the clutch with the polka dots and the bright pink is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Megan! This clutch is one of my absolute favorites. Leopard goes with everything, right?

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this! I thought the pants were great when you reviewed them but I admit I'd probably be a little stumped too, even though they really are a neutral. What fun Pinspiration here though, and I love the pop of color and pattern mixing you ended up with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy with how this outfit turned out as well. Love pinspiration! Now to figure out more than one way to wear them...

      Delete
  6. I love the polka dots with the pop of pink, you totally rocked it girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl! Pink + black is always a winning combination. :)

      Delete
  7. I totally do the same thing with bottoms! I wear alllll the crazy patterns in skirts, but somehow detest patterned/bright pants on myself. Makes no sense at all. BUT, I need me some polkadot pants now. These are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katy! I'm still getting used to them, but at least this print is a bit more subtle than wearing floral pants or checks or something like that! Baby steps...

      Delete
  8. Very pretty dress. I would love to play dress up like that!!!!
    http://pakskills.com/

    ReplyDelete