Thursday, January 21, 2016

Third Thursday Threads: Most Cherished Item



I'm one of those people who get weirdly attached to clothes. Not every item, but the ones that represent a memory - the dress I wore to graduation, my favorite polka dot top from my honeymoon, the white wool slacks and blush pearl embellished top I wore for my bachelorette dinner, the parade of bridesmaids dresses - things I'll never wear again because they don't fit, are no longer in style, or let's face it, who really re-wears a bridesmaid dress? I recently started a closet clean out, and like ripping off a band-aid, I ruthlessly weeding out everything that didn't fit or I no longer wore. A lot of it was the sentimental stuff, and I had to remind myself that the memories don't die because I no longer have the item, they just aren't taking up much needed closet space. That being said, when I dropped the bags off to Goodwill I got all weirdly sad about it, almost like I was giving away a piece of myself and not just a few (okay maybe more like 10) bags of clothes.

Anyway, all that backstory ties into Work Clothes, I Suppose's Third Thursday Threads theme "Most Cherished Item." The idea is to share a piece you saved for, dreamt of forever, or are still saving for. I initially struggled to come up with the right piece - was it my Hunter boots, one of my Kendra Scott necklaces or my well-loved and well-worn Coach bag? Was it an item that had a memory attached to it, like my wedding dress?



In the end, I finally settled on my Clare V. clutch, mainly because it's a classic item that I'll have for years to come (that won't end up in a Goodwill bag) and it's the first item I bought after a solid year of nothing but diaper bags and saggy clothes covered in spit up. I decided to treat myself to a completely frivolous, but fabulous, item that would hopefully inspire me to take better care of myself and to take pride in my appearance again. I snagged this clutch during a Shopbop sale, but even then it was a heck of a lot of money. Is it practical? Goodness no. After all, I can barely fit a compact, chapstick, and slim wallet in there much less toddler snacks, diapers and sippy cup. But you know what, in a crunch, I can slip this clutch right into the diaper bag, and boom, I'm ready to be in full mommy-mode.

Leopard love: 
one  |  two  |  three  |  four
five  |  six  |  seven  |  eight 

As you can see. I've carried this clutch a bunch of times - it's my favorite go-to item to dress up an outfit whether it's a jersey dress or a pair of black pants. It's nice to have a completely impractical, but just for me item. I consider it a well worth it purchase. :)

Sweater: J. Crew (similar)
Skirt: Target (similar)
Shoes: Madewell (d'Orsay option in limited sizes, gorgeous option with a lace quarter
Most Cherished Item: Clare V. (exact, the perfect dupe)
Necklace: J. Crew Factory (almost identical dupe)
Earrings: Loft (similar)
Watch: Fossil (exact)
Ring: Charming Charlie (pretty alternative)


// Today I'm linking up with Work Clothes, I Suppose for Third Thursday Threads.  //

10 comments:

  1. I love this outfit, but especially the coat! That's an item I would have never picked for myself but I love the way you've styled it. This is why I love fashion blogs—always challenging me to think outside my comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This coat is super old and I'd forgotten all about it until I did a closet clean out. I just liked that it was something different than my usual uniform of pencil pants and dress shirt. :)

      Delete
  2. So pretty! I bought the sweater you're wearing but had to give it up. I really needed an XL and mistakenly bought an L. Oops. I really love it with the skirt though. So chic. I wish I could justify a clutch. While not a mom, I note the same reasons to skip one that you did, but I LOVE calf hair. Just love it. Maybe I'll make it a "make it work" item for this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got this sweater as a gift a while ago. It's an XL, and I think it runs small. It was too small when I first got it, and had originally thought to sell it, but thankfully I've lost a little weight so now it fits a little better. I've used this clutch a lot more than I ever thought I would, and I wasn't a clutch person at all previously. I can't fit everything I normally put in my purse, but I can squeeze my wallet, phone, compact and lipstick in there. I usually separate my car key from the rest of the set so I don't have to worry about the extra bulk.

      Delete
  3. This is such a lovely, ladylike outfit! I get sentimental about my clothes too--I'm still hanging onto my "leaving the reception" dress from my wedding, even though it's not exactly the type of thing I can wear just anywhere.
    I love all the ways you've styled your fab clutch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline! I did keep a few sentimental things, like the dress I wore for my engagement pictures, mainly because it still fits and isn't too dressy, though I'm not sure when I'll wear it next. And I'll never get rid of my wedding dress, though I need to find somewhere to have it cleaned and packed because it's been hanging off the side of my bookcase for four years now. Opps.

      Delete
  4. I just discovered your blog via the Third Thursday Threads-- love it! I am totally with ya though on the items that aren't practical (I'm a new Momma too)- but it's SO nice to get something that isn't for everyday wear...a great point! And clearly, it's still getting a lot of use so that's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Valerie! I'm so glad you stopped by. :) I love Brianna's blog...I'm so glad she hosts the Third Thursday Threads linkup, it's so fun to see what everyone else is wearing and up to.

      Delete
  5. Oh man. Now I seriously want to make myself a leopard fold over clutch. I'm not even much of a fan of the print...but I think in purse form, I could totally get behind it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo...Merrick did a DIY leopard clutch last year and it turned out great! Maybe one of these days I'll get over my sewing machine fears (I know how to use it, I just dread it for some reason) and make one in a different print. :)
      It looks easy enough to make...
      http://www.merricksart.com/2015/01/diy-leopard-fold-over-clutch-tutorial.html

      Delete