Monday, January 18, 2016

Make it Work Monday: Gray Gingham


Button-up shirts are one of those things that I love the idea of - they're so polished and look cute by themselves or layered - but man I HATE ironing them. Seriously, the worst. This gray gingham is several years old and I can count on one hand how many times I've worn it. Not because I don't like the shirt, but because it's too much of a hassle to bother ironing it. But in honor of today's Make it Work Monday, I busted out my iron and got my shirt all straight and smooth...so I could cover it up with a striped sweater. :)

I found great gingham inspiration on Pinterest. Below are a few of my favorites looks featuring dark gray/black gingham. As you can see, today's look was heavily inspired by Jean from Extra Petite's gray blazer, stripe sweater and gingham top. I'm really happy with how this look turned out, all the layers were fun and I was toasty warm all day. I have a feeling this won't be the last time you see this gingham shirt, if I can bring myself to get out the iron...

Pinspiration:
one  |  two  |  three  |  four
five  |  six  |  seven  |  eight


Blazer: Loft (current version)
Button up: Target (similarlarge checks, navy gingham)
Sweater: J. Crew Factory (cute lace option, LOVE this dotted/stripe option)
Pants: The Limited (exact)
Shoes: Madewell (exact)
Necklace: Kendra Scott (extra)
Earrings: J. Crew Factory (exact)
Watch: Fossil (exact)
Pave link bracelet: J. Crew Factory (exact) | Cuff: Baublebar (cute alternative)

Are any on you familiar with Lands' End's no iron shirts? They come in a ton of cute patterns, and I'm kind of tempted to order one to try out, but wanted to know if any of you had worn and liked them before I pulled the trigger.  :)


If you're missing the Make it Work Monday linkup, I have decided to take a break from hosting, but encourage you to work linkup with Anne for Pin to Present next Thursday, January 28!

// Sharing on Anne in Residence's Pin to Present. //

16 comments:

  1. Ugh, I am SO with you on the ironing. I only buy my husband no-iron shirts (and they really do come out of the dryer nice), otherwise the stuff goes to the dry cleaner (or in our med student cheap days, he ironed everything himself!). Shirts of mine that need ironing usually get layered like this to just hide the fact that they need it :)

    Love the monochrome here - so many great patterns and textures, but it all works when it's neutral. Fun look!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully my husband's all about polos, so I just wash and try those suckers and never have to worry about ironing. I'm the worst about using the straightener trick on my shirts. If I'm wearing a shirt that I know is going to be layered under something, I'll use my hair straightener on the edges that show. I can't decide if that's incredibly lazy or genius. :)

      Delete
  2. I love this professional look!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't have a Land's End no-iron shirt (yet) but at this very moment I'm wearing a Land's End flannel in black gingham (http://www.landsend.com/products/womens-flannel-shirt/id_274236?sku_0=::GU2). I've worn it about 20 times since I bought it in December, and when I wasn't wearing it my best friend was wearing it. (I had it on when she came to visit me at my parents' house on Christmas Eve, and when I got dressed for dinner she "tried it on." She left wearing it and proceeded to wear it Christmas eve, Christmas day, and the day after Christmas until she reluctantly gave it back. Of course, I got her one of her own as a belated Christmas present.) While a Floridian like yourself might not have any use for flannel, I can't recommend it enough, and I haven't ironed it once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Lands' End shirt looks so cozy and I love the black gingham! You know you have a winner when your friends want to borrow it as well. :) In North Florida we have a few months that we can get away with flannel, but in the summer, it's sleeveless everything and still sweating to death. I'm just glad it's cool enough to wear layers for a little while longer (we probably have another month) before the heat sets in.

      Delete
  4. I can't tell you the last time I ironed something! There are several pieces in my closet that I just skip because of that. I do love all your layers in this outfit though. The stripes and check are so fun together and I would've never thought to pair a stripe over my gingham. Audrey of PMT posted a monochrome type outfit today with lots of neutrals but several textures and shades like your outfit and I really like the idea of all the different shades. Can't wait to hear what you think of the lands end shirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Audrey's outfit is so stinking cute. I love her casual mix and the different textures definitely help to break up the gray. I would never have thought to pair gingham and stripes until I saw it on Pinterest. I'm a shameless copier. :)

      Delete
  5. I have zero amounts of layering skills. So I bow down to you on this. Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure all my layering skills come from copying Pinterest outfits and other bloggers. lol

      Delete
  6. What a great recreation of the outfits that inspire you! I love the buffalo plaid in black and white- one of my favorites. And it looks great with the striped sweater.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really love that look as well. I have a love/hate relationship with my blanket scarves. I love the way they look, but hate the bulk. Plus, it's rarely cold enough here to wear them. I'm seriously contemplating cutting one in half to see if it's as great as everyone says it is!

      Delete
  7. Oh I love this! The mix of patterns is so fun, and I love that you added the blazer too. I may have to recreate this look myself!
    Shea | www.shealennon.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love blazers, they just make everything look so polished!

      Delete
  8. I have owned Lands End no-iron shirts. Love them. Hang them straight out of the dryer, button , straighten a bit, and you're good to go!

    ReplyDelete