Thursday, January 28, 2016

January Budget


Budget for first quarter: $600
Spent in January: $232.44
Budget remaining: $367.56

A new year, a new budget! After almost a year of clothing budgeting, I've decided to switch from a monthly to a quarterly budget to give myself a little more spending flexibility. I also decided to stop including my blogging income because it was making it too easy to overspend. However, I do plan to continue to include clothing sales in my budget, if I can get my act together to sell something...

I smugly thought by mid-month that I was only going to have two purchases to share, but...silly me...the lure of J. Crew Factory's 50% off clearance was too strong. Even though I spent more this month than originally intended, I'm really happy with my purchases! Everything feels so cohesive.

Banana Republic black skinny jeans (see how I wore them here)
I purchased these jeans as a replacement for the black straight leg jeans I unsuccessfully tried to turn into skinny jeans. Whoops. I got them in a size 16, and find them to be true to size. They have good stretch and are a nice, saturated black. I wore them to work and no one noticed I was wearing jeans...works for me.

American Eagle Denim X skinny jeans (see how I wore them here)
I've been wanting a pair of non-distressed, dark wash jeans that are Friday workday appropriate. I decided to give these jeans a try when they went on sale for $19.99, and ordered them in an 16L since the regular was sold out. They are a little long, but I prefer to cuff my skinny jeans, so it isn't a deal breaker. They are seriously the comfiest jeans I've ever owned, they feel more like super soft, stretchy leggings. Word of caution...the blue dye bleeds so WASH BEFORE WEARING.

J. Crew Factory Uptown Dress Coat
While there isn't much of a need for a wool coat in Florida, I know I am going to need an extra layer in Nashville next month. I took a chance since this coat was a final sale item, but it's really gorgeous in real-life. The color is great and it's very well-made. The reviews said it runs small, so I ordered an 18, but I probably could have gone down a size. It's still relatively tailored and not overwhelming large, and it'll be perfect with lots of layers underneath. I may take it to a tailor to have the sides slimmed. We'll see...

Loft Gray Knit Midi Dress (see how I wore it here)
I'm sad this dress isn't still available to buy, because it's soooo comfortable! I found it on the final sale rack at my local Loft and a size L fits just fine...thank goodness for elastic waistbands! It's one of the those super easy, throw on and go items and so soft it feels like pjs...perfection.

J. Crew Factory confetti sequin tee (see how I wore it here)
I've been lusting after this shirt since before Christmas, but it was sold out. I had all but given up on it until the 50% off clearance sale and found it back in stock in my size! I got an XL and it runs true to size. My only gripe is that the way the sequins are sown on makes the shirt a little itchy, so wearing a tank underneath is a must. It's also hand-wash only, can't say I'm excited about that.

Factory embroidered dot sweater (see a sneak peek of it here)
I got the red version of this sweater as a gift and liked it so much I snagged the white version during the 50% of clearance sale. I ordered an XL and found that it runs a little large - it's a longer length than most J. Crew Factory sweaters and has extra room in the arms and waist, but I really like the more generous fit and it doesn't look frumpy.

Madewell Mira flats (see how I wore them here)
Tired of all my cheap, uncomfortable flats, I decided to find a quality pair that fit just right and didn't give me blisters. I'm really happy with these flats from Madewell. The leather lining helps reduce chaffing and the size 9 is true to size. The black is available in very limited sizes, but the plum wine is still available in almost all sizes. So pretty...my closet needs those too, right?


What I received as a gift:
Since I was sick leading up to Christmas, I didn't get several of my Christmas presents until after I posted my December budget. I love all the goodies I got this year. :)

My step-momma took me post-Christmas shopping at Loft where I picked up the stripe foil dot tee (see how I wore it here), navy foil dot tee and Loft pendant (see a sneak peek of it here). I got both shirts in an XL and found them to be a little long, but the L was way too small. I love the built-in pattern mixing of the dot and stripe tee, and the simplicity of the navy tee. The Limited Piped Blazer (see a sneak peek of it here) is an XL and has a more boxy, long fit, but I love how the pipping gives it a little something special. I got this Factory embroidered dot sweater in an XL, and as I mentioned above, it has a looser, longer fit than most factory sweaters. I love the cheery color and gold dots, and have a feeling I'll be wearing it non-stop next holiday season. This J. Crew Factory pink sweater is also an XL and fits true to size. It's a thinner knit that's perfect for Florida winters. Won't it be perfect for Valentine's Day? My husband got me this Pandora Leaf Ring (see how I wore it here) as a belated present and I love it. My favorite gift by far, I've been wearing it non-stop. It's the perfect statement piece without going over the top, and it coordinates well with my wedding rings. I usually wear a 7, but this ring is an 8 so I can wear it on my middle finger.

Looking forward:
In February, I want to concentrate on the holes in my closet created by my closet clean out. For example, I donated my too large Target mustard pencil skirt, so I just ordered the J. Crew No. 2 pencil skirt in double-serge wool in tangy olive while it was on sale. I'm really hoping it lives up to the rave reviews. I'd also like to add a few more dresses with sleeves to my closet, so I'll be on the lookout for those as well.

Whew, that's a wrap to a very long budget post. Do you keep a clothing budget? Let me know how you did this month in the comments below.

//  I'm sharing my finds with Budgeting Bloggers on Franish. //

18 comments:

  1. I'm the same way. I feel so sassy midway through the month with my conservative purchases...and then I fall off the bandwagon. Haha.

    The coat is gorgeous. I can't wait to see it on you!

    http://bedknobsandbaubles.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, I'm all like, I've got this, I'm going to be so under budget, then by the end of the month I'm adding it all up and praying I'm not going to be way over. I can't wait to wear this coat, I know it's going to be perfect for Nashville's chilly weather, and for $57 I don't feel guilty that it won't get a ton of wear here in Florida.

      Delete
  2. I love all of your buys!! The Mira flats are gorgeous - I've been looking for a new pair of black flats and love that they're classic, but a little different.

    http://professionalish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasted so much money on cheap black flats, and in the long run it was better and cheaper to spend a little bit more on a quality pair. I'm just glad I found them on sale!

      Delete
  3. aaaaaand this is why i don't really link up anymore because i check out the other links and want all the things! i LOVE that coat, the striped sequin top and the dot sweater. so cute! i'm glad i missed that sale hahaha. and i am the same, i don't include any extra income otherwise it just gives me permission to overspend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sale was a mixed blessing. :) I love my factory finds, but I did end up overspending a bit. When I first started to get a little extra income it was like I had the freedom to go nuts! I definitely want to be smarter with my money and not just spend it all on clothes.

      Delete
  4. I would LOVE to shop your closet! I really want to get away from Poshmark and switch to having an Instagram closet sale so that I can avoid the huge chunk that Poshmark takes in fees. While it does expose my items to more people, I want all my money! lol. I love all my madewell flats, so I have to say that's my favorite purchase of yours this month. But every thing is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm curious about the Instrgram closet sales as well. It's certainly intriguing. I know Lisa from Respect that Shoes who has a completely separate account just to sell her clothes. (https://www.instagram.com/shoprespecttheshoes/) At least then a 3rd party it's getting a large chunk of the money! I'm just afraid I wouldn't get a lot of traffic...but it's definitely something to consider!

      Delete
  5. So many great purchases! You got such a great deal on that pretty coat from JCF. I wish I had bought that striped dot tee from Loft when I had the chance. As you said, it has built in pattern mixing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That shirt sold out crazy fast! I remember getting it and posting outfit pictures with it not a week later and it was already sold out. I really lucked out with the coat and it's even prettier in person. My photographer (aka husband) won't be with me while I'm wearing it in Nashville, but I'll but sure to rope one of my co-workers into taking a few pictures!

      Delete
  6. It looks like you found some really great, versatile items! That coat, man that's beautiful looking - the color is just gorgeous and you got such a great deal on it. Nice leather flats are so awesome, I use to wear Payless shoes al of the time and just about wreaked my feet. It's hard to go back after you start wearing nice shoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel you on Payless. I've had many a pair, and finally gave them all away during my last closet clean out. They have some cute styles, but they really do a number on your feet!

      Delete
  7. Wow, that's a great price for that dress coat! Which colour did you end up getting? I'm rather enamoured by the blue one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blue is gorgeous, isn't it? Sadly it was completely sold out when I got my coat, so I settled on the heather stone (kind of an oatmeal color). In the end, I'm glad I went with the neutral color since it'll go with more items in my closet, but the blue is so stinking pretty! I just looked and it's back in stock in a 16. I'm using all my restraint not to buy it too! :)

      Delete
  8. I loved the sequin shirt so much that I bought it right after I saw it! Oh well, so much for being restrained this month. I'll try again next month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I always have such good intentions at the beginning of the month, but the good deals and cute clothes get me every.single.time. I need sale blinders! lol

      Delete
  9. Ha I kind of did the same thing this month thinking I was doing so well... but then I bought a crazy amount of workout gear. I did stick to my not buying toddler clothes for the month resolution though!

    Those flats are so great - I have the mid-heel version and I just love them. Such a classic item but with a cool twist.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been having a hard time with heels lately, maybe a mid-heel would work a little better? I have the Mira heels in the regular height and they're gorgeous -the leather is so comfy - but they kill my right big toe. All my heels do these days. :(
      I'm convinced toddler clothes have a way of multiplying...I clean out some to find three times more in it's place.

      Delete