Sunday, December 27, 2015

Thoughts and Whatnots 12.27.15

 one  //  two  //  three

I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas! I apologize for being so quiet, I was excited about several posts I had plans for last week, but Monday morning was admitted to the hospital after being up all night with horrible top of stomach pain. The ER doctor told me I had a large gallbladder stone, blocking a duct and causing infection and possible additional stones in the duct to the liver. What should have been a simple outpatient gallbladder removal procedure ended up being a five day hospital stay! Because of the extended stay, I developed a high pulse rate - and after a battery of tests - discovered I had diminished lung function and the suspected beginnings of pneumonia. I finally got to go home Christmas Day and am already feeling a million times better! Though I'm still moving pretty slow, it's so, so it was wonderful to be home with my husband and daughter.

Though I spent most of Friday and Saturday sleeping, today I feel slightly more human, so I wanted to get on here and give everyone an update since I hadn't blogged in so long. I beyond grateful to my husband during this time, he was an absolute rock - taking care of our daughter, by my side whenever she was a daycare - on top of everything at the hospital (I was pretty out of it for most of it) and being my mental support. I am truly blessed to have such a wonderful man in my life. My mom and step-dad came down frequently to visit, and my dad, stepmom and brother came down a few days early for their annual post-Christmas visit, so it's been wonderful to be surrounded by family. Many, many thanks to everyone who prayed for my recovery and that I'd be released by Christmas.

This gallbladder attack/removal was a crazy thing, I had no warning, other than what I thought was some acid reflex a month prior.

I'm home, on the mend and really looking forward getting "back to normal." Silly the things you want to do because you can't at the moment - like I can't wait to go to our local Loft once I can move around a little better. Right now everything's 50% off with code HOLIDAY50 and I'm obsessed with their striped foiled dot tee (stripes and gold polka dots, what's not to love?) and am equally in love with the solid in navy with foiled dots - I love the elbow sleeve length. I think the piped detail front on this navy gingham tunic is so cute (I can easily picture is with my navy Hunters). I got the white with black dot tunic Loft had on sale last month, but I might like the black with white version even better! Based on reviews, I ordered the white a size down, but it's a smidgen too tight in the arms, which I'm not crazy about. I'm going to try it in the other other color combo in a size up to see if I like it better! (Thankfully I only wore it briefly for the 12 Outfits of Christmas post, so it still has it's tags.) I'd also like to see this pretty gold pendant in real life, it looks like it would be so versatile!

After reading Fran's post on how she fixes her hair, I'm super excited about some new products I ordered to try! We seem to have a similar hair texture, so I'm hoping a new routine will give my hair some new life in this Florida humidity. Also on the top of my beauty to-do list is a haircut and highlight. Since my sis is too far away in Tennessee, my quest begins again for a local hairdresser. I didn't realize how bad my roots had gotten until my white hairs were blazing out at my four-day unwashed hospital hair. *shudder*

Thankfully I'm off for the next week (the campus is closed until after New Year's) so I should have plenty of time to rest and recuperate. I plan on linking up with Fran tomorrow for Budgeting Bloggers and depending on how I feel, will try to stay more up-to-date with posting, but mostly want to concentrate on feeling better and spending time with family. Have a wonderful week!

12 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your medical emergency! Glad you are better & got to be with your family for Christmas. Your blog is one of my favorites so it's good to have you back today. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! It's good to be back. Each day is a little better, so I'm looking forward to feeling 100% recovered soon!

      Delete
  2. Aw, bless your heart! I can totally relate, I had a similar situation over the summer that landed me in the hospital for a week. I love your blog and can't wait to see what you have in store in 2016. Xo��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Extended hospital stays are definitely less than fun. I'm so glad you're feeling better as well. :)

      Delete
  3. I am so glad that you are on the mend! I've had friends that have experienced the same kind of gall bladder illness, so I know it's not fun! Here's to better things for 2016!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! I'm pretty sure I'm going to do January's #WearWhatWhereJanuary challenge. I remember awhile back you wanted to know if I was going to participate again. :)

      https://www.instagram.com/p/_4UsS3jH3x/?taken-by=whatnicolewore

      Delete
  4. So glad you are on the mend! What awful timing. I love your LOFT links... If you make it to the store I'd love to see what you try on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather! I did go by Loft yesterday (and kind of overdid it). I tried taking photos, but it.was.not.good. I'm still all bloated from the surgery, I look pasty and sick, and for my vanity's sake, I seriously doubt I'll be posting them anytime soon. :) But, spoiler alter, my sweet stepmomm ended up getting me the stripe gold-foil dot and navy foil dot tees as well as the pendant necklace. I got both shirts in an XL and I'm really pleased with them both. I love a good elbow-length sleeve! I tried on the black with large white dot tunic in a L (the only size available in store) and it was comically small. I could have easily worn an XXL. The gingham tunic fit well in a large, I just couldn't justify another navy gingham shirt.

      Delete
  5. Yikes! Hope you are well on the way to recuperation now! Glad you got to be home Christmas Day and still enjoy lots of good family time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was so nice to be home! My parents came over and we had a small Christmas, but I was on some serious pain meds and don't remember most of it. Thankfully we're doing another mini Christmas this Saturday with my mom and stepdad - and now that I'm pain med free - I'm sure remember this one a lot better!

      Delete
  6. Haha, you have a perfectly reasonable excuse to skip posting the pics! I placed a post-holiday Loft order this week and got the navy and gold polka dot shirt too. Excited to see how you style it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo...I hope you like it! I can't wait to wear mine, but we're actually having a full cool days, so I'm going to embrace my sweaters and scarves while I can!

      Delete