Monday, December 28, 2015

December Budget




$323.32 November Budget
(Starting budget $150 + $11.60 remaining in November + $161.72 blogging income)
-$356.67 in purchases
$33.05 over

It was a month to buy all the red, navy and black! 

First up: J. Crew Factory. I originally got this ponte dress in black (see how I wore it here) and loved it so much I promptly ordered it in red as well (see how I wore it here). I purchased both in a 16 and the fit is super flattering. The online reviews complained that this dress has a really high waistline, but these dresses ended up working perfectly for me. With the holiday season coming up, I realized I didn't have a red sweater that fit anymore, so the Sawyer filled the closet hole nicely (see how I wore it here and here). For reference, I got it an XL. Confession: I now have the herringbone vest in grey and black. I received the grey version as a birthday present a few months back, but I really, really wanted the black. When J. Crew Factory decided to bring it back, and it went on major sale, I snatched it right up (see how I wore it here). The grey is perfect for all my navy bottoms and the black with everything else! At the same time I also picked up a navy puffer. For reference, I got both vests in an XL. The next cold day, I'm wearing my navy puffer, Hunters and Aerie check scarf (see how I wore it here). 

After seeing this Loft polka dot tunic on Fran, I thought it would be perfect with leggings (see how I wore it here). Based on online reviews, I ordered a size down to an L, which is actually a little tight in the arms. :( I'm on the fence about keeping this one or exchanging it for the current black with white polka dot version. The shiny plastic red clutch I've been using in photos had to go, it was so dated. I ordered this one from Amazon with the idea that I'll actually carry it. :) The iridescent Loren Hope cuff was from my latest Rocksbox and it was instant love (see how I styled it here). This is the last month I'm doing Rocksbox, it was fun, but I haven't been liking my boxes as much lately and have been slow to remember to return them.




Gift to myself / What I received as a gift:

I knew right away these Vince Camuto booties (see how I wore them here and here) would be a budget buster, but they are so, so worth it! I decided to make them a Merry Christmas to me gift of them instead of taking up my regular budget. I find they run true to size (I'm a size 9) and have nice extra bit of cushion of the ball of the foot. Perfect for Florida's not so cold winters. I'm so excited my mom got me this beautiful gold watch for Christmas! I've mentioned before, I've been getting a bit tired of wearing my delicate gold Fossil bracelet watch all the time, so it's great to be able to mix it up with more of a statement piece. To go with my new watch, she also got me this pretty watch case for my ever growing collection. I'm excited my watches are all going to have a new, organized happy home! I mentioned some time ago that after having my daughter my feet grew to a size 9.5, but strangest thing, 18-months later, they've gone back! My Madewell leopard print skimmers and holepunch skimmers are literally falling off my feet, so my dad got me these new skimmers in a 9, and the fit is great! 


Going Forward / Goal for 2016:
I keep saying this, but my goal is to spend less going forward and be better about sticking to a lower monthly budget even if I am fortunate enough to make a a little blogging income as well. I need to rethink my budget structure so I have enough room when I need to make a bigger purchase I can, but not go crazy spending $300+ every month either. 

In some ways I feel like I was rebuilding my closet this year, but now I have so.many.clothes. that I need to do a major purge/sell/donate. I'm going to try a combination of Poshmark and Thredup and the rest goes to Goodwill or straight in the trash. A closet clean out is my top upcoming priority, I'm just a bit sad my recent surgery means I can't take advantage of this week off. But soon I'll be feeling well and ready to clean and purge! 


//  Today I'm linking up with Franish and all the other Budgeting Bloggers!  //

8 comments:

  1. I love all of your purchases!! My haul ended up pretty similar to yours, color-wise, and it's great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kyle! Deep, saturated colors are always a good thing time of year.

      Delete
  2. I own and love the black herringbone vest too! I've been thinking about picking up a navy vest, but I already own 2 other ones so I'm not sure if I really need a third. On the other hand, I wear them all the time during fall and winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand. I probably have a few too many, but we're having such a warm winter, that on our somewhat-cool days, the puffer vests have been perfect with a long-sleeve tee or button down.

      Delete
  3. Love those pointe dresses! I've found that long sleeve dresses are SO useful in the winter down south.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Most of the time it's not cool enough for layers, but the longer sleeve helps keep arms from getting chilly. :)

      Delete
  4. Love your style, just started following!
    -
    stethoscopesscrubsandstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete