Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Feels like 33


Last Saturday I turned the big 33. I had an amazingly chill weekend full of window-shopping, girl movies, sleeping in (glorious) and dinner with family. Basically, it was perfect.

I can honestly say I'm pretty happy with my life, which got me thinking about how much has changed in my life in the past 10 years. I made a major move from North Carolina to Florida, had several jobs as I've figured out what I wanted to do when I grew up, bought a house, got married, finished graduate school and had a baby. It's been a busy 10 years! Thinking back to my 23-year-old self, there's definitely a few things I'd like to tell her.

Worry less

I spent so much time in my early 20s worrying. I worried about finding a good job, about relationships, about who I wanted to be. In the end, everything fell into place. I agonized over my decisions, but there was a definite plan in place for my life and if had know how it was all going to turn out, I wouldn't have spent near as much time second-guessing so many of my decisions.

Enjoy being young

After I graduated from college, I felt such pressure to get a great job, get married, be an ADULT. I should have savored my younger days more, enjoyed being single, the lack of responsibilities, only having to worry about myself. Don't me wrong, I love my daughter and my life, but there's some days were I wish for just a moment from those carefree days.

You're NOT fat

Have you seen the meme that says "I wish I was as fat as the first time I thought I was fat"? So, so true. I could smack my skinny 23-year-old self for thinking I was chubby. I wish I had appreciated that wrinkle and stretch-mark free, flat stomached body. I believe the trick is to realize your beauty at every stage in life. I struggle with body image, so it's a lesson I try to remind myself of daily.

Don't be afraid to try new things

I agonized over so many of my decisions in my 20s. I imagined myself married, with a great career and with at least two kiddos before I hit 30. At 24, I made the decision to end a very serious relationship, move three states away and restart my life. I was petrified. I thought I had ruined my so-called perfect life. But the great thing about trying new things is sometimes you get the most amazing results. I ended up doing the whole marriage and kid thing later than I originally planned, but it was absolutely the right decision. I needed to make changes, develop my identity apart from a relationship and eventually open myself up to the right person.

So that's my advice to my 23-year-old self.  If you could go back in time, what advice would you give?

Top: Loft (exact)
Skirt: Loft (exact)
Shoes: Ann Taylor (exact, heels)
Necklace: J. Crew Factory (exact)
Earrings: Baublebar (very similar
Watch: Fossil (similar with leather band)
Ring: Charming Charlie: (very similar)


6 comments:

  1. Happy birthday! I love these tips to your younger self - mine could have used a few of them too. Here's to being in the midst of a great decade... I'm 31 so looking forward to getting settled into it and enjoying the great things about this stage of life too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne! So far my 30s have been great (other than a few added wrinkles/grey hairs :)

      Delete
  2. Happy late birthday! Seriously, I'd smack my 20 year old size 2 fat-shamer and tell her to take a chill pill. I wish I'd spent less time worrying in my 20s and more time just enjoying them, but 30s so far have proven to be THE BEST.

    Love your shirt, btw. Red + Black + White = Always a fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks AJ for the birthday wishes! I agree, 30s are the best. :)

      Delete
  3. Happy belated birthday! I turn 32 this Saturday and agree with so many of the things you mentioned above. As a child I couldn't wait to be grown up and by the time I was 18 I had so many responsibilities. It's hard to be young and carefree when you're constantly planning and worrying about the future. I would definitely tell young(er) people to try to live in the moment a little more! And the weight thing, ugh. I wish I was as "fat" as I was in my 20s, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy belated birthday! I've just discovered your blog in the past week & am really enjoying it (found it through Outfit Posts). Although I'm 10 years older than you, I like your style & your attitude. It's funny how it can take us many years to realize that we worried over some silly things in our younger days! Still, that often helps us become the people we are one b/c we learn & grow. Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete