Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Dressing Room Reviews: Loft and Old Navy

Yesterday I escaped the house to do some baby-free shopping (and to take advantage of the Labor Day sales). Here is a review of a few of the things I tried on:

First stop was to Loft since I had a return and some gift cards. How cute is this stripe top? Black and white, stripes and polka dots, what's not to love? The shirt is 100% polyester but feels silky and I love the length with the longer hem in the back. I tried this on in an XL and the fit was perfect. Full price it's $59.50, but it's currently on sale for $35! I loved it so much, it come home with me and I'm wearing it today! It's hands down my favorite thing I tried on.

Next I tried on this leaf print softened shirt. While the pattern is super cute (it's brown and black leaves) and was oh so soft, it did not look good on me. Since it's made from 100% cotton, the fabric wanted to poof out. I look pregnant all over again, not the look I'm going for. On a thinner girl it would be really cute. I tried this on in an XL and I could have gone down size in the waist, but the arms would have been too tight. It's currently $59.50.

This split neck tunic was another dud. I like the color, but it's just long and frumpy and strangely tight in the arms. It's another piece that I think would look so cute on a skinnier, taller girl, it just wasn't for me. Though if it wasn't for the tight sleeves, I'd be tempted to try it tucked into a pencil skirt. It's 100% polyester and has a nice drape and also comes in the most gorgeous red. For reference, I tried this on in an XL and it's currently priced at $49.50.

Next up is this adorable dotted french cuff blouse. I loved the fit and style of this shirt as well as the high-low hem. It's 100% rayon and had a nice feel to it. I tried this on in an XL. I passed on it only because I already own a very similar looking shirt, and from the Loft no less. But if you're looking for a white blouse with a subtle print, I recommend trying this one! It's currently $49.50.

I've been wanting a deep green cardigan, so I grabbed this one to try. While the color is super pretty (it's a deep olive), the fit just didn't wow me. It's a little short with pants, though it might look better with a pencil skirt. Overall, it didn't do much for my figure. If you're short-waisted, it would probably look great! It's made from 100% cotton, and costs $49.50.

The last thing I tried on at Loft were these seamed ponte pants. You can't see it in the photos, but it has a lovely little black on black stripe down the leg. They're a rayon, polyester, spandex blend and insanely comfy. They are made from a thicker ponte, so it helps cover all the lumps and bumps and definitely has more structure than leggings. I'm still wearing my maternity leggings (even though the kiddo is now 15-months old) and these are the perfect replacement. I also like that there's just the tinniest bit of flare at the leg opening which helps balance out the curves. I will probably only wear them under a long sweater or tunic, but they're nice enough that you could wear them as regular pants. I got these in an XL and highly recommend! Right now they're $49.50, but it's worth waiting for the next sale.

After I finished up at the Loft, I popped over to Old Navy. I've got some super cash to redeem starting today, so I needed to try on a few things, right? First up, I tried on this cream blouse and cranberry hat. The top is currently $31 with an extra 25% off (code NICE). I really, really like this top from the front (please ignore the black straps, I wore a black tank top yesterday, oops) but it makes me look super wide from the side. It's 100% cotton and I tried it on in an XL. This adorable floppy hat is on sale for $15 and I kinda love it. I don't know, do you think I can pull it off? I really may have to go back and get it...

I think this red stripe top is so stinking cute, but I'm worried it looks too "Where's Waldo." I tired this on in an XL and it's a little large, but it's also 100% cotton, so I imagine it'll shrink some in the wash. It's on sale for $12 and it's another piece I may have to go back for. I see it by itself with the sleeves rolled for now, and layered under my herringbone puffer vest or peeking out under a sweater come fall/winter.

One of my favorite things about this time of year is that clothing manufacturers start putting sleeves on their dresses! First up is this bird printed shift dress. I love the print, it's funky and different and I'm in love with the 3/4 sleeves, but it's too short for my taste. I want it to hit right at the knee and be just a bit more tailored in the waist. I tried this on in an XL, but I'm tempted to order it in a tall to try. I know I can have someone take in the sides, but I'm just not sure I'm that in love with the dress. It's currently on sale for $32 and also comes in plus-sizes!

I love the idea of this dress, but it just wasn't the right fit for me. The color and sleeves are perfection, but the waist is baggy and adding a belt would make the dress too short. It's 100% rayon and feels nice and lightweight. It's on sale for $15 and if you're smaller in the waist than I am, I think it would look so cute. It's another one that looks good from the front, but not so much from the side situation.

So that's everything. I ended up buying the black and white stripe top and ponte pants from the Loft. With the Labor Day sales and gift cards, they cost me a whopping $2.50. Not bad considering there were so many lovely expensive things on sale that I desperately wanted to buy (like this watch and this bag). But before you think I was being all amazing with my money, I also ordered some things from Ann Taylor and Eloquii (Limited's plus-size store) to try. :)

5 comments:

  1. Love review posts! Those leggings look perfect - I added them to my wish list! I also love the cuffed jeans you wore shopping. What brand/style are they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather! You should get the leggings, they are so comfy. :) My jeans are the 312 Cuffed Skinny Ankle jeans from the The Limited. Sadly they are sold out, but they have an almost identical pair called the 678 Rolled Cuff Ankle Jeans (http://www.shopstyle.com/action/loadRetailerProductPage?id=433738576&pid=uid4004-25536002-10) For reference, I got mine in a 16R. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  2. Great post full of useful tips! My site is fairly new and I am also having a hard time getting my readers to leave comments. Analytics shows they are coming to the site but I have a feeling “nobody wants to be first”.
    labor day 2015 sales

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. I am hoping the same best work from you in the future as well. In fact your creative writing abilities has inspired me to start my own BlogEngine blog now. Really the blogging is spreading its wings rapidly. Your write up is a fine example of it.
    mattress reviews

    ReplyDelete