Friday, August 21, 2015

One!

 https://www.flickr.com/photos/theresasthompson/2311733808/

Yesterday was the one-year anniversary for Teal and Polka Dots! In honor of the occasion, I thought it would be fun to do a Q&A.

What motivated you to start blogging?
My decision to start blogging was two-fold. The first was my struggle with body image. I have gained (and lost) a lot of weight over the past 10 years. Even at my smallest, I was guilty of only seeing the flaws and none of the positives. I want to be a good role model for my daughter and not have her pick at herself the way I have done most of my life. Children learn from what they see, so if I embrace my body image, hopefully she'll love the way she looks as well.

The second part has a lot to do with wanting to make connections. When I first moved to Florida, I quickly made a great group of friends, but I got married, changed jobs, had a kid, and slowly one by one, friends moved away or we just lost touch. There's the phone, and Facebook, but it's not quite the same, ya know? Now it seems like there's just barely enough time to work, take care of the kiddo and (sometimes) clean the house. Blogging has been a way to fill that "friendship void" and a way to talk to other people about one of my favorite hobbies.

What blogs to you follow every day?
For those of you who have followed me for awhile, it's no surprise when I say Franish is one of my absolute favorite bloggers. I also love  Kristina J., Merrick's Art, Sarah's Real Life and Work Clothes I, Suppose.

Where do you get your outfit inspiration? 
Reading blogs has definitely influenced my style, but Pinterest, friends and my sister also play a big part. I'm not a big magazine reader (give me books instead) so I tend to gravitate toward the Internet for inspiration.

Who takes your pictures? What camera and lens do you use? Have you ever been caught in the act of taking photos?
My paparazzi are my tri-pod and sometimes my husband. You can almost always tell who took what: if they are in my backyard with the white fence, that's all me, and the ones in the better locations, that's Matt. He's such a sweetheart for indulging me and has been a great support with my blogging.

I use my Canon T3 to take photos, and right now I have just the standard lens it comes with. I'm seriously considering upgrading to a 50mm lens so I can get those nice, blurry background shots. When I'm use the tripod, I set the self-timer to take 10 shots at a time.

As for getting caught, most of the time, I take my photos in stealth, so I haven't been caught too often. But the other day I was snapping photos at the park and someone stopped me and wanted to know what I was up to. I just kind of blew it off and said "Isn't it a lovely day for photos" and high-tailed it out of there. I'm a chicken. :)

Do people in real life know about your blog? What where their reactions when they found out?
Not a lot of "real life" people know about my blog. My husband and some of my co-workers know and I just told my parents earlier this week. My biggest fear is that people will think I'm a narcissist in love with my own image or that I'm being silly blabbing on and on about clothes. But so far everyone's been super positive and supportive!

What has been the best thing to come out of blogging?
That's easy, the people! I love all the other bloggers I've found out there. I also love that blogging gives me an outlet to write. I spend most of my day doing graphic design, which I love, but it's fun to have other creative outlets.  

What suggestions do you have for other bloggers?
It's okay to start small. When I first started blogging I felt like I needed to post everyday and be on every social media outlet, and you know what? I burned out fast and ended up taking a six month hiatus. When I came back to blogging, I only posed about three times a week and stuck to Instagram. Now I pretty faithfully post five or six times a week and I do some Snapchat and Twitter along with Instagram, but if it gets to be too much, I'm okay with cutting back. I post more often now because I'm having fun with it; I never want this blog to become a job. I've ready got one of those, thank you very much.

Do you anything you would change from the last year? 
I wish I hadn't taken such a long break from blogging. At the time it was the right thing to do. I just couldn't figure out a way to juggle going back to work and taking care of a newborn. I needed to find my work/family balance. It actually makes the whole one-year anniversary kind of a gray area, because while I did my first post a year ago, I didn't get serious about blogging until March. If I had known it was going to be so rewarding, I would have found a way to make it work six months ago. I'm so, so glad I came back to it!


What's your favorite outfit you've blogged? What's your least favorite?
That's a tough one. I have several outfits I've really, really liked like the raspberry stripe dress and tan cardigan outfit, my pencil skirt of the weekend and my foray into pattern mixing. But my absolute favorite is the navy maxi dress with rose gold accessories. I think. It's too hard to decide. But I loved the way I felt in that dress, I was having a good hair day, and I got lots of "real-life" compliments. I just felt pretty. My least favorite would be my navy skirt, peach cardi, dotted top combo. I just feel like I looked sloppy and the color combo is just blah. Runner up for least favorite goes to the chambray blazer/olive maxi skirt outfit. Good pieces, bad combo. 

What's your favorite purchase? What item do you regret buying? 
From the shear frequency they appear on the blog, I've to say my Target embellished sandals.And to think I almost didn't buy them because I wasn't sure about the ankle strap. I honestly didn't think I'd wear them that much! I think my biggest regret purchase is the J. Crew eyelet tee, mainly because it ripped after only two wears. What a waste of money!

Questions left unanswered? Let me know in the comments below!

2 comments:

  1. happy blogiversary! i started reading recently and what i like is how refreshing and real you are-in terms of body, clothing, etc. i read some blogs where i'm like, who are you? what sort of privileged life are you leading? how are you able to dress like a celebrity? i get bitter and jealous and need some "real" inspiration. thanks for that!
    b

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completely understand! I'm bad about seeing things on other bloggers and thinking it looks so cute on them, but it would never work on my larger size. And then I'm all sad about it :( Or I'll see a great outfit, but gasp at the price tag! My favorite bloggers are definitely the more down to earth ones.

      Delete