Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Faking Fancy


It's amazing how something as simple as a necklace can completely transform an outfit. This is a simple jersey maxi dress, but the necklace makes everything look so fancy! I originally planned to wear my beloved Kendra Scott tassel necklace with this outfit, but I wanted something with a little extra punch. It ended up being the perfect thing to wear to my mom's birthday dinner.

I purchased this necklace in April, and loved the idea of it, but it was just too short around my neck. I wore it a couple times, but each time I wore it, I knew I just wasn't quite right. This weekend I finally decided to try lengthening the chain. It was actually a pretty easy fix! (Especially when hubs is ready to step in and help).  All you need is a some chain (I got mine at Michael's) and needle nose pliers.



 

 




1. Determine how long you want your necklace to hang. I wanted mine about 5" longer, so I cut two lengths of chain at 2.5" long (half the total length) by using the needle nose pliers to open a link to break the chain.

2. Using the needle nose pliers, remove the toggle from each side of the necklace.

3. Using one of the links you already opened from your new chain, add the chain to the necklace and close using needle nose pliers. Repeat for other side. 

4. Take the toggle from the original necklace and fix to the end of the new chain using needle nose pliers to open the last link of the chain and to close. 

5. Repeat for other side. 

6. Done!

Dress: J. Crew Factory (similar with sleeves!)
Sweater: Target (similar, similar plus)
Necklace: Ann Taylor (exact)
Clutch: Clare V.  (exact)
Watch: Fossil (similar)
Sandals: Target (similar)

I'm so happy with how it turned out! The great thing is if you don't get it quite right the first time, you can always add or remove chain as needed. Just grab your trusty needle nose pliers!
//Today I'm linking up with The Pleated Poppy for What I Wore. //

No comments:

Post a Comment