Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Father's Day Adventures

It may be two days after the fact, but Happy Father's Day to my wonderful husband! He's been such an amazing daddy to our little girl and it's been so sweet watching their relationship develop over the past year.

Technically, Sunday was my husband's second Father's Day, but since last year was crazy trying to adjust to life with a newborn, we didn't do much to celebrate. I really wanted to make this year special, especially since he'd done such a great job surprising me for Mother's Day! Thankfully, Pinterest, once again, saved the day. Seriously, what did we do before Pinterest?

Did you ever read those "Choose Your Destiny" books as a child? Well, the Dating Divas has this amazing "Choose Your Own Father's Day Adventure" template where Dad chooses how he wants to spend his special day.

I started out with the template from Dating Divas, but made some modifications in design and content to make it more specific for my husband. :)

M's super into superheros, so I designed in bright red and blue and comic-style fonts.

To give you an idea, here's how it started:

"We love that you're so strong and tough! 
Would you like to go on an adventure with us? 
You get to choose because it's your day!
So you do think ya or nay? 

Yay: go to page 2
Nay: Sorry that isn't an option! Go to page to 2 anyway!"

M's first choice was whether he wanted to stay home for breakfast or go out to eat. 

He chose to stay at home, so I cooked up brunch of yummy eggs, bacon, waffles, pineapple orange juice and coffee. 


Breakfast was baby approved. :)


The next step was to make a plan for the day. M's choices were shopping (at a man's store), movie, hike/beach walk or play tourist.

He originally picked tourist and I thought we'd go to the marine park, do a maze, and pop in all the tourist shops that are practically in our backyard, but M had another idea...he wanted to get out of town, so we played tourist in Destin, Fla. instead.

By the time we were ready to go, it was baby's nap time, so we decided to take a scenic drive down 30A. It worked out perfectly; baby A got her nap and we spent the worst of the heat of the day touring around in air conditioned bliss. (With the heat index it was 104 Sunday!)


By the time we got to Desitn, baby had gotten a good nap in and we were ready to roll! There aren't a lot of bookstores where I live, so M wanted to go to Barnes & Noble first thing. I suppose that's a touristy thing to do, right?


We did lots of window shopping. I'm wanting Sophie Kinsella's Finding Audrey and I've been working on a collection of the Penguin Classic cloth cover books, but we managed to walk out of the store only buying Starbucks Frappuccinos.

Have you tried the new s'mores flavor? Seriously, it's so, so good. It was like a party in my mouth. You can see in the picture that even baby A is wishing she could have of this caffeinated frozen goodness.

Next, we went to Destin Commons for some shopping.


I didn't want to go into a bunch of girly stores since it was Father's Day, so we just kind of window shopped. I didn't take pictures of everything, mainly because it was blistering hot and we just looked sweaty.

I did snap in pic in the beef jerky store, simply because it amused me. Here we are in Florida, and the jerky was from home, the Tennessee Smoky Mountains.


We tried our best to stay out and explore, there's so many places to go in Destin, but finally the heat got to us, and we had to admit defeat. It was just too darn hot yesterday. So we ended back into town and made a (unscheduled) stop to Target to load up on baby food and diapers for the coming week.



It was time to M to make his next choice on how he wanted to spend his day! He could either have a home cooked meal or go out to eat. He was craving Mexican, so we decided to go to Los Rancheros.


I realized after taking a few bites, that I forgot to photograph my food...and I call myself a blogger... so here's a pic of my half eaten meal. Just keeping it real here.

The refried beans where a hit!

No day would be complete without dessert, so M's last decision was whether he wanted to have homemade chocolate chip cookies, ice cream or chocolate. He picked ice cream, so we tried out this really cute retro ice cream shop called the Pink Pelican.

M picked Tennessee Whisky and I got Apple Strudel for me a A to share.


As you can see in the picture above, we were wiped by this point.

"Choose Your Own Father's Day Adventure" was a success despite the heat. It was a fun day, though looking back, I think we spent most of the day eating. There's worse things you could do I suppose. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment